lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
RHS1178
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO Loses voltage on Hill Climbs

I have a 2006 TXT that has been upgraded with an Admiral B1 Motor, SR48400 Controller, 2G Wires, heavy duty solenoid and switch and is running 7 batteries for 42 V. It works great on flat ground but a few seconds of hill climbing and it starts to slow down significantly. This weekend I hooked up the computer and monitored the controller going up hills and it is going from 42V at the battery down to as low as 38.1. The Motor Amp Draw while moving is never above 140A.

Is this indicative of the batteries or is there something else I should look at? It spends its life on the charger and only comes off to go up and down the hill to the lake. When I went to 42V I bought a charger that was supposed to handle that problem. Batteries were purchased in about 2017. Monitor file is attached if that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Monitor.zip (8.7 KB, 0 views)
RHS1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Loses voltage on Hill Climbs

That amperage draw and voltage drop is not out of normal range. The nature of an electric motor causes it to slow when the load is increased.

Electric motors (all) produce their maximum torque at 1 rpm. The faster they go the less torque they produce. When the load is increased (hills) the motor slows until the torque produced equals the load applied.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
RHS1178
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ScottyB. Appreciate the quick response.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In addition to what Scotty mentioned, of the three drive types used in electric carts (Series, Sepex and AC), Series loses the most speed on inclines while AC loses the least.

Also, The pack voltage when the solenoid first closed was 44.0, so your batteries were only about 85% SoC (State of Charge).

Plus the controller's starting temperature was about 57°F, which is likely the batteries' temperature as well, so in addition to the normal storage capacity reduction from about 3 years of aging, there was an additional 10% capacity loss due to the cool temperature.

Can't do anything about the temperature except wait for summer, but if the batteries are only taking and 85% charge, some Back-to-back charging may help get them to take more of a charge.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
RHS1178
Not Yet Wild

Battery pack is 42v - were you calculating off 48v?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHS1178 View Post
Battery pack is 42v - were you calculating off 48v?
No. I know the difference, I use a 7 x 6V pack also.

When fully charged, a 42V pack reads 44.6V (For Trojan batteries and clones - higher for other brands)

At 42.0V, a 42V pack is less than 50% charged.

Here are SoC charts for Trojan brand and US Battery brand cart batteries. Most other brands will fall between those two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg USB SoC 36-42-48V.jpg (176.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #7
RHS1178
Not Yet Wild

Follow up to this question...

When I rebuilt the cart several years ago I set it up for 48V - added a single battery to go to 42V to prevent buying new batteries and everything has been ok.

Now that the batteries need to be replaced I am going full 48V. I know I need to swap the resistor on the solenoid but the only other thing I haven't dealt with is charging. I have purchased a 48V charger and the EZ-GO triangle receptacle for the cart. My question is can I just swap the end on the charger in lieu of replacing the receptacle? Not sure what the third conductor is for but my guess is that my cart doesn't have that bit of technology anyway. Any help is appreciated, I plan to make the swap this weekend.

For reference - 400A Altrax SR48; HD Solenoid; Admiral Motor; HD F/R Switch; 2G wires;
Old 05-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The third connection is a battery temperature sensor and the technology for its use is in the charger not the cart, so whether it is needed or not depends on which 48V charger you have. Most 48V chargers will work without it, it is optional with some and other won't work without it.

Other than that, the existing charge receptacle will work and plug on the charger's output can be changed. The only real issue is you'll have a 48V charger that'll plug into a 36V cart and if you live in an area where neighbors borrow stuff without asking, it might get interesting.

What make/model 48V charger do you have?
Old 05-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #9
RHS1178
Not Yet Wild

As previously recommended on this forum - DPI Accusense. I think I can actually unplug the "square ez-go" from the old charger and plug the output cord into the new charger.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHS1178 View Post
As previously recommended on this forum - DPI Accusense. I think I can actually unplug the "square ez-go" from the old charger and plug the output cord into the new charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO