lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 23" tires on a RXV?

I'm going to need new A/T tires soon. With the 350amp Curtis controller I have is running larger than 20" tires still a bad idea? I'd like the extra ground clearance but not at the risk of frying the controller.
I don't know of anyone in my area who could reprogram my controller. The local dealer put it in freedom mode and turned the reverse up a little after I installed it. Other than that I have no faith in them. Same folks who told me 2ga cables wouldn't fit and other such hogwash.
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 23" tires on a RXV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBIRD! View Post
I'm going to need new A/T tires soon. With the 350amp Curtis controller I have is running larger than 20" tires still a bad idea? I'd like the extra ground clearance but not at the risk of frying the controller.
I don't know of anyone in my area who could reprogram my controller. The local dealer put it in freedom mode and turned the reverse up a little after I installed it. Other than that I have no faith in them. Same folks who told me 2ga cables wouldn't fit and other such hogwash.

You need to do a lift to go bigger than 20” on a RXV. In freedom mode you shouldn’t have to worry about a 350a controller. However, Bob Boyce is the man to give this question to. He could also reprogram your controller to insure that you would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=molfpedal;1823790]You need to do a lift to go bigger than 20” on a RXV. In freedom mode you shouldn’t have to worry about a 350a controller. However, Bob Boyce is the man to give this question to. He could also reprogram your controller to insure that you would be ok.

Thanks molf
I've got a 3" lift and thought that's enough for 23's from what I've read here.
Bob working his magic for me isn't going to happen unless I haul the cart down south to him. But Bob or one of the other RXV gurus may chime in and give a yea or nay.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

IIR, the magic max tire/wheel diameter the controller will easily forgive is about 21.5 inches. Beyond that there can be issues with current and speed mapping that could eventually lead to controller failure, but I don't recall the specifics. Bob Boyce has the precise info you need.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well Buggieman 21.5" would be some improvement on height so thanks. I'm still curious if the 350a controller without tuning could handle 23's if anyone knows.
I saw the thread about a possible programming trip by Bob to Virginia and thought hum, that's only a 7 hour drive.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

SBIRD your going to need the torque turned up on that 350amp controller when going with 23" tires.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Little-known secret: if you can find them, the differential gears from a Jacobsen Eclipse 322 mower are supposed to fit in the RXV.
They’re lower, 19.6:1 instead of the 17:1 stock ones.
They will compensate for larger tires, same way the truck guys use lower gears when installing larger tires.
I managed to score a set off eBay a while back but haven’t yet installed them because I’m still running stock tires.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermaker View Post
Little-known secret: if you can find them, the differential gears from a Jacobsen Eclipse 322 mower are supposed to fit in the RXV.
They’re lower, 19.6:1 instead of the 17:1 stock ones.
They will compensate for larger tires, same way the truck guys use lower gears when installing larger tires.
I managed to score a set off eBay a while back but haven’t yet installed them because I’m still running stock tires.
Just for grins, I plugged the numbers into my spreadsheet and and 23" tires with 19.6:1 gears is pretty much the same as 20" tires with stock gears (16.99:1).

Mathematically, the torque difference works out to 0.3%.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO