lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #1
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default TXT Rear Diff Lube change

I changed my diff oil today. My cart was a fleet cart and they had changed the oil before, then sealed the cover with clear RTV gooped all over. But the oil was dark and had silver shavings in it. So time to go. Diff looked great, so no concerns. Washed the diff out a little with brake cleaner.

I am using Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube w/ friction modifier already included, not that the TXT needs that. To seal the cover I used Permatex 81182 Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker for differentials (special resistance for gear oil additives). Permatex instructions say: Snug bolts up until RTV begins to squeeze out, wait an hour, then torque to specs.

Has anyone used magnets on the outside of the diff cover (I am not gutsy enough to put them on the inside) to trap metal shavings?

Cover torque specs:
Specs are 16 to 24 ft. lb. and tighten in a criss cross pattern (see attached). I snug them up to 20 ft./lbs. which I think is PLENTY tight. These Textron Dana LS installation instructions were finally a place I found Textron to actually give cover bolt specs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZGO Limited Slip.pdf (240.4 KB, 0 views)
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT Rear Diff Lube change

I'm using the same 75-90 limited slip gear oil on the RXV, not quite sure, if recommended on non-LS differentials... a special RTV sealant for any kind of oil isn't necessary in my opinion, waiting for hours before tightening also. What do you think, happens in the factory? They may have 1 hour to assemble the whole transaxle... And, i'm always using the build-in torque wrench in my arm for that small screws used on differential or automatic transmission oil covers ( knowing after tight comes loose.. )
To use a magnet outside the oil pan wouldn't last long, i guess. I know slim magnetic pads used on automatic trannys or magnetic drain plugs.
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I'm using the same 75-90 limited slip gear oil on the RXV, not quite sure, if recommended on non-LS differentials... a special RTV sealant for any kind of oil isn't necessary in my opinion, waiting for hours before tightening also. What do you think, happens in the factory? They may have 1 hour to assemble the whole transaxle... And, i'm always using the build-in torque wrench in my arm for that small screws used on differential or automatic transmission oil covers ( knowing after tight comes loose.. )
To use a magnet outside the oil pan wouldn't last long, i guess. I know slim magnetic pads used on automatic trannys or magnetic drain plugs.
That works too ... I just followed the instructions on the sealant ... makes no difference to me ... also, whether I buy regular RTV sealant or the stuff designed for gear lube is just the same. They are all same price so I went with what I know all truck manufacturers use on their rear axles ... I would prefer to use LubeLocker gaskets but they dont make them for these rear ends. I have them in my truck and Jeep and they are fantastic and reusable.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Does anyone know why the TXT rear end is supposed to be filled with 12 oz. of lube and the RXV with 25+2 oz. of lube/additive? The dana housings seem to be the same in size and capacity, so why would one take twice the amount of lubricant than the other??
Old 05-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The only real difference is the posi-trac...?
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
The only real difference is the posi-trac...?
Right. That was my perception too! But EZGO specifies 12 oz. of lube for the TXT and 27 oz. (lube + additive) for the RXV.

I probably should refill my TXT diff with 25 oz. of lube .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO