lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
Retodd
Not Yet Wild

Default PDS motor magnets...

Ok there’s an auction on a certain website that rhymes with flea bay for a magnet. The concept is it fools the controller to allow more RPM for more speed. Again, I’m ignorant, so help me out. Will this thing work? Sounds logical but I just don’t know.
Retodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS motor magnets...

In freedom mode, the Curtis 1206MX controller RPM limits the motor to 4400RPM which is roughly 19MPH on 18" tall tires with 12.44:1 gears in the differential.

The magnet disk on the motor shaft has eight magnets, four N and four S, or 4 pairs of poles. The speed sensor puts out a pulse every time the magnetic field it is in switches polarity, so the controller receives 4 pulses for each motor shaft rotation.

By using a magnet disk with fewer pairs of poles, the motor shaft can spin faster before the controller throttle back to regulate max cart speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
Retodd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that explanation Johnnieb. If I may, a few questions. Please forgive my ignorance but I’m quite new to this. What is freedom mode and how is this achieved? Also, if I purchase and install this magnet, will there be drawbacks? I have already ordered bigger cables for the increased load, but will I need to do anything else?
Old 05-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are four operational modes with a stock PDS controller that are selected by different jumper wires in J2. See attached drawing and also attached is a list of the modes and the differences in speed and regen braking.

The main problem is you can over-rev the motor going downhill with pedal on floor. Not a problem on level ground since the motor maxes out at about 5600RPM with a 36V battery pack.

Be sure to upgrade all 10 of the high amp cables. Unless damaged, the OEM F1 and F2 cables are sufficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
Retodd
Not Yet Wild

Wow! If I had long hair it would be blowing right now from all this knowledge. Not trying to be sappy, but I really do appreciate all you guys do for this community.

I do plan to upgrade all 10 cables, is 2 ga overkill or will 4 ga suffice?
Also where can I get one of those connectors to make my jumpers?
Old 05-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retodd View Post
Wow! If I had long hair it would be blowing right now from all this knowledge. Not trying to be sappy, but I really do appreciate all you guys do for this community.

I do plan to upgrade all 10 cables, is 2 ga overkill or will 4 ga suffice?
Also where can I get one of those connectors to make my jumpers?
Overkill is underrated.

Go with good set of 2Ga cables and be done with it.

Also, if there is a possibility you'll be upgrading to a 48V battery pack at some time in the future, get a cable set for a 6x8V pack. The terminals on an 8V battery are both on same side and longer interconnecting cables are needed. The slightly longer cables work just fine with the existing 6x6V 36V pack.

The "speed chip" is readily available from many sources and inexpensive. Not worth the time it takes to build one.
https://www.amazon.com/HKOO-Electric...1555387&sr=8-1

Add a SPST switch to each of the jumper wires and you can select all four PDS modes. (When I was running a stock PDS controller, I only added one switch and could swap between freedom and mild hill.)
Old 05-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
Retodd
Not Yet Wild

Good advice, I’ll do it. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO