lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2013 RXV Dead unless......

I am working on a 2013 RXV. The owner replaced the battery cables and he reports that while hooking up to the controller he touched the energized B+ wire to the B- on the controller and got a flash of sparks and since then the cart was dead in the water. The one way I can get the solenoid to engage is to hook a wire from the main positive on the battery pack to the small positive lug of the solenoid. with this wire hooked up the solenoid engages and the cart will work normally, except that the solenoid doesn't disengage when you let off the pedal ofcourse.

After looking things over and spending some time trouble shooting I determined the following:

1.) the battery cables are hooked up correctly except for the wire that comes from the center lug of the charging plug. this wire is off, and the owner reports that it worked fine before with that wire off. I found where it is supposed to go and hooked it up to the the main positive terminal and there is no difference whether it is hooked up or not. Based on the wiring diagram this wire is supposed to be grey, but it is black and it contains to smaller wires that come together into one terminal end.....is this normal?

2.) The pedal pedal switch is working properly, giving me continuity when the pedal is pressed

3.) the tow/run switch is working properly giving me continuity when on run

4.) I jumped across the two black wires of the bi-metal switch and it appears to make no difference (I am not 100% on what this does but I know it is supposed to be normally closed)

Since the "trigger" circuit for the solenoid goes first to the computer I suspect that something in the controller got smoked when he shorted it out. It is odd that the computer does continue to work properly after the solenoid is "artificially" engaged.

I have been working on carts for 30 years but I don't have much experience with the RXV platform. I would love to hear some thoughts on this mystery. Thanks
muckinfonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2013 RXV Dead unless......

The run tow switch shouldn't have continuity in run. If theres power on both sides of the run tow switch in run then theres an issue.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott quail View Post
The run tow switch shouldn't have continuity in run. If theres power on both sides of the run tow switch in run then theres an issue.
Thanks for the feedback.... Maybe I misspoke.... What I know is that when I flip the tow/run switch back and forth I have continuity one way but not in the other..... I ASSUMED that run was continuity.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Oh ok. Gotcha. I assume you checked the fuses there also?
Old 09-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Oh ok. Gotcha. I assume you checked the fuses there also?
The two fuses on the panel were the tow/run switch is are good.... Are there other fuses?
Old 09-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Scott quail
Gone Wild

thats them. Does your cart have a curtis controller or danaher? If black its curtis if gray its danaher.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #7
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
thats them. Does your cart have a curtis controller or danaher? If black its curtis if gray its danaher.
The controller is black. The plug on the controller is vertical and is closer to the batteries.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Without hot wiring the solenoid, when you turn the key on thes the solenoid click and the motor break run its test? I cant be certain but id assume that if the 48v positive touched the 48v negative at the controller then its likely that its damaged.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #9
muckinfonkey
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Without hot wiring the solenoid, when you turn the key on thes the solenoid click and the motor break run its test? I cant be certain but id assume that if the 48v positive touched the 48v negative at the controller then its likely that its damaged.

Without hot wiring the solenoid nothing happens at all no solenoid click when you push the pedal, when you turn the key on, the battery meter doesn't move, the reverse buzzer doesn't come on, and no click from the break on the motor.
As soon as you touch the solenoid with 48 volts I get a click from the solenoid a click from the brake and the battery meter comes on with the key.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:05 AM   #10
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Check the run tow switch for power. Is there power on only one side?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO