lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
tcfila
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerwise QE 48v

Recently purchased a RXV from a good friend. He said it was not having any issues and I have no reason to doubt him.

The cart will not take a charge. I'm thinking its a bad charger and he has offered to buy a new one.

Cart is currently showing approx 1/4 on the state of charge. When I plug the charger into the cart, it flashes quickly green/red, green/red, green/red, green/red, then green for 2 seconds and it no longer lights up. If I look at where it plugs into the cart is flashes very dimly.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Tim
tcfila is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise QE 48v

What is pack voltage?
You may have tun batteries to low for charger to kick in.
Never run batteries that low and charge daily or after cart is used.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
tcfila
Not Yet Wild

I did not throw a meter on them. The State of Charge meter shows over 1/4. Are you saying 1/4 is too low?
Old 03-07-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Those meters don't always give you a good indication of the battery pack charge. Never take your pack below 48 volts, that is less then a 50% charge. When the battery pack is discharged below 50% your destroying your batteries. A lot of us put voltage meters on our carts so we know exactly what the voltage is at all times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage vs State of Charge.jpg (38.0 KB, 0 views)
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
tcfila
Not Yet Wild

All the batteries metered at 12.4v.

Thoughts on a bad charger?

Tim
Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

What brand/model charger. Explain what it's doing/not doing. Click, but no hum? Also, like usg said, get you a digital dash meter, best way to constantly keep an eye on battery health. Best $12 you can spend.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #7
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfila View Post
All the batteries metered at 12.4v.

Thoughts on a bad charger?

Tim
12.4 volts is dead for a 12 volt battery. If you have a car battery charger I would charge each battery by itself until all are fully charged. Run the pack down a little and try your charger again.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #8
tcfila
Not Yet Wild

Brad, its a power wise qe (I know, not good). When I plug the charger into the cart, it flashes quickly green/red, green/red, green/red, green/red, then green for 2 seconds and it no longer lights up. It does not hum or click or anything.

Doc, How is 12.4v dead for a 12v battery? Total for the 4 batteries was 49.2v. Thats over 60%.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-07-2022, 08:56 PM   #9
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe not completely dead but I would treat it like 1/8 tank of gas. A pack should never be ran below 50%, consider that dead. 12.4 volts would be about 60ish %. The 4x12V pack used in the RXV is not the greatest configuration. It does not contain the storage and energy a 6x8V pack would supply. The closer you run the pack to or below 50%, the shorter the lifespan. I've seen new packs last one summer from being drained like that. And the SOC reading is not the actual voltage, it's the controllers guess on what's left in the pack. That calculation from the controller gets less accurate as a pack ages.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You can get a lot of threads about how diagnose your charger's problem, use search button above, "Power Wise". And many youtube videos. I just had simliar problem with my PowerWise charger (older version of yours) and ordered a board (easy replace) for $48. Save you $$$$ using a little time. If you are like me, I have a lot more time than I have money :)
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO