lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
lcodd6
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Electrical Issue

I'm hoping a fellow member can help me with an electrical issue. I've been rebuilding my G1 cart and I'm finally ready to get it running. I've got everything connected up but there's an issue. I keep blowing one of the 10amp fuses and the ground wire to the Magneto is getting super hot and melting the insulation.

I've tested the ohms on the magneto and they are within the tolerance. If I leave the ground unconnected, the starter motor does operate as intended. I'm guessing it's a ground issue but I can't seem to find the problem.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can check?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magneto Issue.pdf (160.6 KB, 0 views)
lcodd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Electrical Issue

guessing the starter is shorted internally and grounding out on the small wire to the stator.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
lcodd6
Not Yet Wild

After a bunch of testing, I believe the starter generator is shorted out internally. It's backing feeding 12 volts through the system.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Be aware that the SG spins forward or reverse by swapping the polarity with the solenoids. Check out this simplified current flow diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C86A3198-29C1-4B1E-B566-122A9675E466.jpg (152.9 KB, 0 views)
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcodd6 View Post
After a bunch of testing, I believe the starter generator is shorted out internally. It's backing feeding 12 volts through the system.
Look into having your Yamaha starter generator rebuilt if at all possible as the aftermarket units are horrible
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #6
lcodd6
Not Yet Wild

mikeasis, Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

I've checked so much but I still can't seem to figure out my issue. Your diagram really helped but it's hard to check without being able to provide power. I've been checking for continuity and everything seems okay. I'm not sure it's the solenoids at this point.

After further testing, I think the CDI Magneto has to be shorted out. Even though when I test the ohms across the black and brown, I'm getting 360 ohms. But the wires have continuity to ground and shouldn't if I'm correct

Every time I connect the black wire to the magneto, the fuse blows. Would you agree that the coil stator is bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GH1 Golf Cart.jpg (191.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-19-2022, 07:19 AM   #7
lcodd6
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Be aware that the SG spins forward or reverse by swapping the polarity with the solenoids. Check out this simplified current flow diagram.
I could really use some help from the community. I'm really stumped on this electrical issue.

With everything but the CDI Magento and ignition coil hooked up, the starter turns and appears to operate as it should. The issue is when I try to connect the ground wire on either the magneto or to ignition. It immediately blows the ground fuse.

I tried to test the isolate and test each of the components. This system is not very complicated and I bet I'm missing something so stupid, lol.

I can't seem to identify what is causing this short. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:29 AM   #8
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, it is an unusual problem. We can maybe help out with ideas for troubleshooting. So a few questions..
- How long does it take the fuse to blow? Immediately when you step on the pedal?
- Does it blow in REV as well as FWD?
- Does it blow if you jack up the rear and let the wheels free spin?
Let’s start here and I’ll try and think up a few more starting point questions…
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #9
lcodd6
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Well, it is an unusual problem. We can maybe help out with ideas for troubleshooting. So a few questions..
- How long does it take the fuse to blow? Immediately, the pedal is never even pressed.
- Does it blow in REV as well as FWD? Yes, even with the key off. As soon as I try to connect the ground on the coil or magneto. It's like something is shorted on the ignition side.
- Does it blow if you jack up the rear and let the wheels free spin? I haven't even got to the starting point yet.
Let’s start here and I’ll try and think up a few more starting point questions…
I hate changing parts to change parts but I thought maybe it's the starter even though it seemed to test okay. But, they sent me a G2 starter and it appears to be different.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
lcodd6
Not Yet Wild

What is the repair manual referring to when they say the "center ground under (-)"?

Are they referring to the stop switch ground?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Center Ground.jpg (19.8 KB, 0 views)

Tags
cdi, magneto
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha