lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Default Clutch

Trying to solve my clutch problem. I have a g16 yamaha cart with a 23 HP B&S Vtwin. Cheta cam, rev kit, key advance, stock carb (for now). Clutch is a Cvtech 06 serie. Clutch engagement rage is 1800 rpm -3600 RPM. I consider the working range on my vtwin to be 1200-5000RPMs.

Correct me if I am wrong!!
I need a clutch that engages at 1200 RPMs at tops out at around 4500RPMs.

With My current set up it acts like an 1800 stall converter. I have to press the gas and rev the cart up to 1800rps from 1200rpms before the cart starts to move. Could you imagine how many care accidents would occur if our automobile worked this way. My cart should begin to move the second I let off the brake pedal or very close to this point. What can I do to make this happen?

CVT manufacture says I need a spring with 400/900 newton (Measurement) but CVT doesn't make one. Anyone have any ideas? How different are they from a stock secondary clutch system spring?

I am also open to other better clutch systems. I have the room to go bigger to maybe 9" diameter if need be but don't want to go smaller??
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2022, 02:46 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch

I had the same cart and setup. I didn't see the engagement RPM as problem. Yep, bump the gas a little and take off. It topped out at around 5,500 and 40+.

Maybe a different clutch would help, but there are a lot of variables--and it is a golf cart...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #3
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I had the same cart and setup. I didn't see the engagement RPM as problem. Yep, bump the gas a little and take off. It topped out at around 5,500 and 40+.

Maybe a different clutch would help, but there are a lot of variables--and it is a golf cart...
So...if like...you are in a garage or in close quarters how do you keep from banging everything in sight. In the open it isn't much of a problem. For me I know the set point and am pretty good with it. It all just seems wrong and back ally mechanic way of doing it that just drives me crazy.

I did run across this. 700 to 3800 engagement points with even bigger sheeths. Maybe this is the way to go? Any ideas? Seems much more costomizable than the 06 series?

https://www.forconstructionpros.com/...nverter-clutch
Old 07-26-2022, 04:01 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The way my comet 780 is set up may suit you. I have the low tension green springs along with the 68 gram weights. These 2 factors allow a low rpm engagement along with a lower RPM shift over. Beltpalace.com has all the parts you will need.You can call them @317-519-9020. They may have a comet 780 on the shelf set up in this manner. The comet 780 set up from Vegascarts with the yellow springs and 130 g weights was way too jerky and made low speed use very tricky.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I used a 780 from CPP and it was spot on for my stock 16, stock 23, stock 670, and built 16. Used that clutch on all those without any issues whatsoever, stock secondary and spring, HD kevlar ribbed belt.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #6
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The way my comet 780 is set up may suit you. I have the low tension green springs along with the 68 gram weights. These 2 factors allow a low rpm engagement along with a lower RPM shift over. Beltpalace.com has all the parts you will need.You can call them @317-519-9020. They may have a comet 780 on the shelf set up in this manner. The comet 780 set up from Vegascarts with the yellow springs and 130 g weights was way too jerky and made low speed use very tricky.
Sounds about what I am looking for. Someone should tell VegasCarts about your set up. Has anyone done anything with the bigger sheeths maybe 8.5". Can you get to big as in it not meshing with the rear clutch?
Old 07-26-2022, 07:44 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When Aaron was still at VC I did relay my findings with him. As he pointed out most customers were interested in things other than smooth take offs and low RPM shifting. More things like wheelies and hard launches
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
When Aaron was still at VC I did relay my findings with him. As he pointed out most customers were interested in things other than smooth take offs and low RPM shifting. More things like wheelies and hard launches
Why would anyone be interested in a hard launch? You are just asking to tear something up. I would be interested in wheelies but done the right way. I think my cart is to heavy and the V-twin doesn't give out enough power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-1.jpg (654.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Nice cart! Mine was used mostly for trail and off road. It did great at Carolina Adventure World for quite a few years, until the trails deteriorated and I couldn't take the cart suspension any longer. I sold it and got a '17 Yamaha Wolverine. MUCH nicer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32876346197_e5d28cd845_c.jpg (193.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 33942860948_327cba4fd1_b.jpg (390.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 40883685390_7e21073b8e_b.jpg (347.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 50215174093_30142007d9_b.jpg (310.0 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #10
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Quote:
Can I ask what your RPM engagement is at with this set up? I just ordered a new 780 clutch from Beltplace.com and they had to sell me the spring and weights separately. They gave me a black spring with 72 gram weights that put the engagement at 1200rpms. They couldnt seem to find the light green spring?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha