lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
69to72chevelle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Supercharger on 350 with 295 head?

I am fairly new to this forum, but have been reading some threads about performance. I have an 09 EZ Go heritage with the 350cc. I only have about 2 hours on the cart, and I have the UNI filter, Rainbow Exhaust, high speed gears, six inch lift. I know that to get more power you can install a 295 head on 350, get the MSD ingition, etc. However, I read on one of the posts about a 350 with 295 rebulild that while the Fast Fred supercharger is designed for the low compression 350 if it was installed on a 295/350 it would have to run on racing gas or alchohol. Could you even mount a supercharger on an engine with compression that high? I heard that the 295 head mod generates high compression.
69to72chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Supercharger on 350 with 295 head?

Welcome to the forum. I questioned pretty much the same thing that you are right now. First you may not have the same block. The newer robin engines have an MCI engine that was changed. If your head and exhaust manifold are one peice of aluminum it's the newer engine and is limitied. Basically no one has modified them, yet.
Basic information... A stock, good condition 350 engine will have about 180 psi. A 295 head bolted on a 350 block goes to 240 psi. The supercharger would probably work with methanol, but the limit for top rpm is about 7000 before it goes. The rods handle about that and beyond that is just expense and repair. A supercharger on the high compression would probably break the block and/or rods. Beyond 35 HP would probably do that.
I have an MCI 350 that I would like to mod also. I've never seen the inside of the 295 MCI head. If it's is shaped like the prevoius years, it would probably work for the compression. The MCI has no flywheel and has faster response and starts better than the old style motor. It may be better for those reasons. I don't know, yet.
Oh, the oiling system in the new engine is different than the old ones. The old head doesn't just bolt on....I tried
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
69to72chevelle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Appreciate the advice. I am pretty sure that my engine is the newer verson. The head and manifold are one piece. If I do put a supercharger on a cart any time soon, it looks like I will have to find an older engine. I will probably leave the compression the same so I am on the safe side, however it would be awesome if a supercharger on the 295/350 could be done. I dont want to do any kind of engine swap right now because the cart is so new. I tinker with cars and build motocross engines so building a performance engine for a golf cart would be no problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The MCI is a better stock engine than the older model, for sure. They also have a newer ignition system. I would like to see an MCI 295 head and try it out. So far, no used ones that I know of....
Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
rib33024

Heres a pic of a motor --

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
69to72chevelle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Me too. If it would work I would definately try it. I was debating on whether or not to do the 295 head on the 350 mod, the supercharger or both. Now that I know that neither mod will work with my engine, I would like to build something high performance. I would have to replace the valves and valve springs and get a new ignition so the engine will rev higher, among some other things. Im not sure where I could get the valves and springs because I imagine that the performance ones for the older engines wont work.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I will say that no engine can not be helped with turbo it is how much you try to stuff that makes the dif.
That said if the engine won't take a bunch is it worth the money, effort?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69to72chevelle View Post
Me too. If it would work I would definately try it. I was debating on whether or not to do the 295 head on the 350 mod, the supercharger or both. Now that I know that neither mod will work with my engine, I would like to build something high performance. I would have to replace the valves and valve springs and get a new ignition so the engine will rev higher, among some other things. Im not sure where I could get the valves and springs because I imagine that the performance ones for the older engines wont work.
I tried some SS valves and the HD springs in my MCI engine with an LVS torque cam and it helped a little at the bottom. It didn't have an ignition for +5K rpm and I had no compression boost. They do fit and work.
That's why I want to see an newer 295 head. Even with the stock ignition it would get there quick!
I'll look around for an head for that model. I'd try it all and let you know...even with a single exhaust port, it would fly....
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a 350 and 295 head. The two with the closed chamber are of the stock 295. The open chamber is the stock 350. If the MCI 295 has that combustion chamber, we are good to go. (I hope)
Seriously, I'll look into it. When I get it right, your warrenty will be over. About a year??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0143.jpg (103.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0194.jpg (91.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0136.jpg (127.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I need to correct something I said in this thread. The MCI valves are not the same as the older style robin engine. The springs will work, the exhaust valve looks smaller in the MCI. Oooops
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO