lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Buck4u
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Burning Smell

Hey guys. Took my ezgo hunting. My ezgo has a different kind of burning smell. Like plastic burning. Didn't go very far, went through small water holes. Couldn't see smoke but it worked just fine, lost no function. Controller looked fine no melting spots. Any suggestions?
Buck4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Burning Smell

Did you feel the wires (battery / controller / motor) to see of they were hot? Something's gotta be going south to get that smell. Don't run it too hard until you find the cause. You might want to remove the seat and jack up the rear end (PLEASE use jack stands), then run the cart so you can observe what's up...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Buck4u
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My batteries, motor, and controller r 2 years old but I looked at my batteries and I couldn't see any water. I was told to charge baterries then look. Should'nt I see some water?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Buck4u
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

solenoid is clicking, would this burn? Now I push the pedal it won't move but clicks. Push again and it goes just fine. only does this for a little while then works all day. But evey time the pedals pushed it clicks. Where do I get another and how much?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck4u View Post
My batteries, motor, and controller r 2 years old but I looked at my batteries and I couldn't see any water. I was told to charge baterries then look. Should'nt I see some water?
Batteries should always have enough water in each cel to completely cover the lead plates. The plates should never be exposed to the air. Such exposure will result in irreversible damage of some degree to the battery. Use distilled water only, check your batteries often as some water is cooked off during charging...good luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You need to get water in those batteries ASAP. DO NOT RUN OR CHARGE THE CART until you can verify the lead plates are completely covered with distilled water. Fill the batteries enough to cover the plates with distilled water BEFORE charging. You need to check the water in the batteries AT LEAST once a month. Check all your connections AT LEAST once a month. If you keep running those batteries without water they "could" short internally and explode. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you have never checked your cables or batteries....your burning smell is probly one of your cables.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
Buck4u
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well that limb would have broke. I am new to carting. What about the solenoid
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The solenoid should not burn or really smell unless you overload it with to much voltage. If one of your cables is loose on one of the solenoid terminals it will burn (melt) and maybe smell.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
Buck4u
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So lift my cart on stands run motor for a few minutes and feel for which cable is hot?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If it were me.....I would check for any loose or badly corroded ones before doing anything at all. Clean and tighten the ones that need it and then charge your batteries fully. Then take a ride (not to far) and stop and feel the cables. Should not take but just a few minutes. If ones seems hotter than the rest track it down and fix it. The reason I would not do it on stands is because you wont be pulling any amps for it to get hot enough to tell which one. Even if you get them all making good connection they still might get warm....but not too hot.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO