lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
rfont82
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G16 Idles, but won't run without choke

i have the same problem and cant figure t out.
rfont82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcruiser View Post
Okay...new cart to me....first cart ever.

'99 G16 that idles great. Has a brand new carb on it (prior owner) and it will idle, but when you accelerate, nothing happens. If you keep the accelerator depressed, you can use the choke as if it is the accelerator. It will also sometimes backfire upon start up and shut down.

I thought the gas might be bad, or the carb dirty (even though it was new), so I drained the gas and pulled the carb off and cleaned it, making sure it wasn't gummed up. Still having issues.

Any ideas?
Check for cracks in the manifold or head or valve area. Check vacuume hose. Sounds like a vaccume leak. Check proper seating of gaskets. Fuel starvation, lean mixture symtom causes backfire.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
chompy
Getting Wild

A G16 is not supposed to "idle". The starter motor will turn over the gas engine over when you depress the accelerator but that does not mean that the car is actually running. Find out what carburetor the previous owner put on the car. If it is an aftermarket carb get rid of it and get an O.E.M. carb. Replace all the gaskets. Make sure the impulse line going to the fuel pump is clear.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
rjcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Check for cracks in the manifold or head or valve area. Check vacuume hose. Sounds like a vaccume leak. Check proper seating of gaskets. Fuel starvation, lean mixture symtom causes backfire.
Yeah...I'm thinking a vacuum leak somewhere....maybe causing not enough fuel to get up to the carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chompy View Post
A G16 is not supposed to "idle". The starter motor will turn over the gas engine over when you depress the accelerator but that does not mean that the car is actually running. Find out what carburetor the previous owner put on the car. If it is an aftermarket carb get rid of it and get an O.E.M. carb. Replace all the gaskets. Make sure the impulse line going to the fuel pump is clear.
No idea if it is an aftermarket carb or not. What brand carb is O.E.M?

I've been so busy working on painting the body and the trim, I've not messed with the engine the past 2 days. Gave it a break. I'll try and post a pic sometime.

Thanks
rjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Rats, if it needs choke its lean find out why!!!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #16
chompy
Getting Wild

O.E.M. means Original Equipment of the Manufacturer. It means the equipment that either came with the car or they are direct replacement parts sold by authorized dealers the vehicle manufacturer. There are many aftermarket vendors that sell cheap, in price and quality, parts usually made in China. They don't perfom as well as OEM parts.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha