lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
jmottr01
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 engine swap but now what about reverse?

Okay, I am new to the cart world and just bought this cart (1985 G1) for $200. The piston came apart so it wont run. Seems like a perfect time to fit it with MORE POWER! I want to put in a 550 snowmobile engine but I am not sure if I will maintain reverse since it seems that in this cart the electronics reverse the engine to control direction. Please tell me if I am way off base since the cart never ran. I just dont see a mechanical option in it to change the direction.
jmottr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 engine swap but now what about reverse?

you are right...you would have to change the rear end to a 4 stroke cart rear end to do what you are wanting. UNLESS you went with a Yamaha Bravo snowmobile engine because they can run in reverse and most all of the G1's electronics will fit on it.

Now that being said the stock power on a G1 isnt bad and they are DIRT CHEAP to rebuild. You might think about rebuilding it for now and then down the road doing a engine swap.
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
jmottr01
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Okay, if I do decide to rebuild this one will I have any issues if I use an oversized piston? I am in AZ and I am concerned about overheating. Or should I just order standard with a new jug since the piston scored mine up pretty good.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Rebuild the top end.......its a piece of cake. This will give you a chance to clean it all up and make sure you don't have any debris that would cause your over heating. Not that you have to worry about that anyway....
kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

just order a stock rebuild kit. It come with new jug and all and you can be up and going quick. Might want to think about doing crank shaft seals at the same time while your in there because the G1 if it leaks from there will run BAD
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the piston broke make sure you flush the case good and verify all the crank bearings are ok. Jug and piston is cheap, just get that. A new bore is the only way to get full power to an old 2 stroke. If you really want to, you can dig up a sled that reverses that way, lots of skidoo reverse via ignition and some others. Yes the bravo is a 250 but more power, especially if you leave the pipe on it, and you can fit the G1 crank trigger to it. Otherwise you can find a G2/9 rear and it will fit with minimal mods, then you have a reverse gear and can use any engine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
jmottr01
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Okay, I started pulling apart my engine for further inspection and I got the clutch off and all the plastics (HUGE mound of oil caked mud, no air getting to the poor thing at all I woulda let go too.) and now I am down to a drum on one side and the starter pulley on the other. Are both of these just pressed on?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The pulley is part of the clutch, you need a bolt type puller that goes in the center hole or make one...that is only way they come off. Look on a cart site they have photos of them its just a long bolt. The other side is flywheel with the fan on it? That should come off with a regular puller like any small engine. They are both in crank with a taper, you have to use a puller. Only time they fall off is if it was just off lately.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha