lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
cardude365
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 Only turns Over in Reverse???? Help

OK Here we go,

So bought this old g1 that has been sitting for about a year, the gentlemen I purchased it from parked it because it started acting up on him. The Symptoms were,

first the cart would only turn over in reverse and it would run i guess

then "a solenoid" was replaced and yielded same result

next they tried to bypass something or something went wrong and the cart would constantly want to turn over and try to start by it self.

I just stared messing with it and so far I know this much,

1. It has good spark

2. It is getting fuel

3. It has about 100lbs of compreshion

4. It will only try to turn over in reverse.???

5. when turning over in reverse it seems to try to fire and start going the opposite way.

Now where do I start?

One solenoid was replaced, Should I change the Key Switch?

Should I go to the pedal switch, change out another solenoid or should I address what i really think the issue is and get another CDI going on it?

If anyone has an experience with the same symptoms please try to advise me on where I should start. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks !
cardude365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Only turns Over in Reverse???? Help

Can you post a picture of the solenoids?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
cardude365
Not Yet Wild

Yea, I will post them as soon as I can, it's located at my camp grounds and I will try to get out that way to get some photos. There are two big son of a guns on the fender on the passengers side.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Sorry I really can't help; I have limited experience....

But I would test the key switch with a multi-meter. I wouldn't think it would be the CID but if you need to replace the CDI check out this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...i-20-16-a.html
Yamaha_G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
cardude365
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_G1 View Post
Sorry I really can't help; I have limited experience....

But I would test the key switch with a multi-meter. I wouldn't think it would be the CID but if you need to replace the CDI check out this thread. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...i-20-16-a.html
It is now ruled out that a CDI is not the issue, I swapped it out with a friends known working CDI and yielded the same results. The next thing I will try is the key switch, I wonder if a heavy duty three way switch would work in place of a key switch? Or does the key switch have some ohms resistor built in? I wouldnt think so this is pretty old and basic tech here. Thanks the responses are helpful!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Yamaha_G1
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I think a simple 3-way switch could replace the key. I would test it with a meter before going through that trouble.

My guess would be a bad solenoid... or a loose wire on the starter/generator.

If you do find a solutions be sure to let us know. Good luck.
Yamaha_G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
cardude365
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_G1 View Post
I think a simple 3-way switch could replace the key. I would test it with a meter before going through that trouble.

My guess would be a bad solenoid... or a loose wire on the starter/generator.

If you do find a solutions be sure to let us know. Good luck.
How would I test it with a volt meter? Am I just looking for voltage or a specific voltage. If it does not have to be specific would a normal test light suffice? One solenoid is new the other I think could be an issue. I am cleaning the carb and replacing the reeds they were stuck open about a 16th of an inch and Im not sure if they are salvageable. It is very strange how it acts I am not very famillure with this type of motor ( can run both ways ) but it seems very simple and all arrows defiantly point to electrical system issues. Thanks again for everyones advice, I will keep everyone posted till we reach success. This is a good forme and anyone could learn something from the threads posted!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Get the wiring diagram that should be posted in the stickies above. What you have is pedal switch that is working, key that may be. The key sends power to the forward or reverse solenoid and you know you have an issue with the forward. So is key sending power in forward? Did they screw the wiring up? Then it might be the solenoid they do go out sometimes and you can swap them or the wires to test. The ignition changes the crank trigger for F or R, but they go into the same CDI via diodes see above post on G1 ignition. However it should still turn over forward even with an ignition issue so doubt that is a problem. The only things that change are the rotation of the gen/starter and what crank trigger it uses.

Also before you do anything check all wires and make sure its right, check all ground connections, fuses, connectors, etc they are the largest problem in these carts by far. The frame is not grounded, check the ground wires and power.

A test light will work, you are just looking for 12v on the solenoids/key wiring.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If its newer G1 the Y and L are forward and reverse check them first.
http://www.cunninghamgolfcar.com/ima...aha%20G1A5.pdf

See the A1 and A2 on the gen, make sure the solenoids are wired to the right one if they messed with the wiring.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
cardude365
Not Yet Wild

OK,

so as far as I can tell the starter generator looks to be wired correctly when compared to the wiring diagram. Now a bigger problem but maybe some one has an idea. I replaced the older solenoid and now when you connect the battery the cart continues to try to run in reverse with out hitting the accelerator and the key to the off position? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE[/COLOR]. I cant figure this thing out it keep running me in circles. When I switched the blue "Y" wire and orange "L" wires that led from the key switch to the solenoids (The ones that were originally in the cart when I got it) I would have no reverse function on the key switch and when turned to the forward position it would try to start in reverse when the accelerator is depressed. (this is to be Expected) But now I know the key switch does function. I am going to try a different CDI with the new solenoids to see if the results change. Any Thoughts?

Last edited by cardude365; 04-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: wanted to add

Tags
backwards, cdi, reverse, turns over, yamaha g1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha