lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
EliteHvac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Carb Adjustment?

I recently purchased a 1988 G1. I've done the following to it. Replaced Air filter, Plug, Fuel filter, Battery, BBQ the muffler it weighed 24lbs 8 oz. and when it was done 22lbs. I pulled the carb to clean and inspect as well as the fuel pump. I checked the compression in was about 125-130. New belts are on order.

What happend originally was the cart would die after a day of use. So with the help of the forum I searched and found that it was charging but the battery was not holding the charge so i replaced the battery. Now it seems to run worse than when i got it. It will only seem to fire up when the gas is to the floor. The manual suggests putting the brake on disconnecting the black/white wire turning key to forward and lightly press the gas once it fires let off and it should stay running to adjust. Is the delayed starting a normal characteristic of this cart I am thinking the battery may not have been bad now because it seems to run on the S/G before it fires. The recommended factory settings were used on the carb seemed to help a little but just wont fire up unless its to the floor.
EliteHvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
EliteHvac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Carb Adjustment?

Could it be the crankcase seals?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Sounds a lot like what I'm dealing with. Here's a post covering it. I've ordered my parts and the clutch puller, but won't get it until Friday.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...arting-g1.html
rivertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
EliteHvac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So should I be looking at the crankcase seals?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I'm just muddling my way through all this for the first time. Hard to say, but our symptoms sound a lot alike. If you read through that other post you can see where I stated I had oil spray which is what tipped me off to the seal thing. Are you pre-mixing or still using the oiler? Any signs of seepage or oil slinging about?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
EliteHvac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Im also new at the golf cart scene as well. I don't have oil anywhere that I can see and it is really clean under the hood. I did read through your thread. I just want to make sure its not just a simple adjustment im missing.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
EliteHvac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I do us the oil injection system.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
rivertime
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Wish I could be of more help.

I work on lots of things mechanical by necessity (can't afford to pay RV, boat, motorcycle, jet ski, car, cart, yard equipment mechanics). It's real rare for me to take something to a pro. I just keep after it and start with the low/no buck stuff first.

Again, your symtoms sound just like mine. Especially in the morning I'll have to floor the gas pedal, pull the choke a few times and let her crank till the cows come home. Sometimes I'll go back and forth between fwd and reverse till it finally fires. The whole process can take several minutes literally. Sound familiar.

Not even sure if the crank seal is going to fix mine yet, but I'll post up either way when I get em installed.

One thing I can say is the motor is super simple to pull out, and I'm liking that my undercarriage is all nice, clean and painted following a power wash. Much nicer working on clean stuff.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Jack it up and run it, spray some carb cleaner near the clutch seal to see if it changes.
If so its seals.

HOWEVER you say you cleaned the carb and it runs worse?
Don,t jump to hard till you do all the easy stuff.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #10
EliteHvac
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Doomsman.......I will do that later tonite when I get out of work. Yes it seems to have gotten worse but now that im thinking I had to put the petal to the floor from the beginning not knowing it wasn't firing up. That probably explains the dead battery I was dealing with.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha