lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default strange way to power a golf cart!

Guys, I picked up, for $50, a beater EZ Go for parts for mine. But, since I don't need parts right away I thought I could have some fun with it first . So, I got brainstorming with my father and we thought it would be a good idea to get a small, 3.5hp briggs and stratton horizontal shaft engine I had, and use up all the empty battery space in my parts electric EZ Go to mount the engine and run a belt to 3-4 car alternators. Hook em up in parallel, and run the connections to the battery connections, effectively making it a gas powered electric golf cart sort of thing I guess? It would still use all the electronics and electric motor of the golf cart, it would just be using a gas engine and alternators to create the power instead of batteries! So, any opinions on the subject? Just for reference I believe the elecric cart is a resistor cart, if that matters. If anyone has some insight or experience with something like this I would much appreciate your input, or if you are just interested, leave a comment and let me know!
stevensj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: strange way to power a golf cart!

The hard part is getting all that equipment to generate 300amps continuous at 36vdc.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The hard part is getting all that equipment to generate 300amps continuous at 36vdc.
I agree. I need to get some alternators first and figure out the constant amperage at the RPM I will be running the gas motor at, and then add all of those readings together and see how much amperage I get and run the alternators in parallel (or is it series that adds current? ). If its enough amperage to turn the motor then I will be set. Do you know which terminals on the motor of an old EZ Go marathon resistor cart I could hook jumper cables to in order to test the motor?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need to wire in series to multiply current.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
Alright thanks. The cart is an old resistor EZ Go marathon 4-wheel, with the forward-facing motor with 3 posts for wires. Does anyone know which 2 of the posts to connect jumper cables to? I wanna check the motor before I start building some crazy contraption only to find that the motor was bad in the first place
Old 12-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
stevensj13
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Had another thought! The golf cart has a band brake on the end of the motor as the break system. If I was to remove the band and replace the brake block on the shaft with a standard sprocket, could I, in theory, run a chain drive to a gas motor to the sprocket I will attach to the electric motor, and consiquently drive it like that? Now, I know this would eliminate my brakes, but I could rig up a disc brake system elsewhere on the cart.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensj13 View Post
Had another thought! The golf cart has a band brake on the end of the motor as the break system. If I was to remove the band and replace the brake block on the shaft with a standard sprocket, could I, in theory, run a chain drive to a gas motor to the sprocket I will attach to the electric motor, and consiquently drive it like that? Now, I know this would eliminate my brakes, but I could rig up a disc brake system elsewhere on the cart.
Honestly, you'd be better off to just swap in an IC engine axle, if you want a gas -powered cart. The mods you are talking about are an awful lot of work, and you still need 36v of batteries to sink any current your generation system is producing and the motor is not drawing. Add to that, your current motor/axle setup is in demand by custom builders due to its low profile configuration.

Were I to try what you wish to do, I would want a small horizontal shaft four-stroke in the bagwell powering a 42v generator when my battery charge drops to 75%. Either way, I just can't see mortal automotive alternators powering an electric golf cart motor reliably. A DC generator and battery bank would be your best bet.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
Series adds the voltage, parallel adds the current. Neither multiply.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Excellent and valid clarification.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The only way I can see the electrical mod working is to switch up to 48volt,run 2-24volt generators or alternators(generators would be better)but you still need batteries(at least 4 if you use 12v batts,more if you run 6v or8v.units).Without batteries you have to maintain voltage constantly and without storage-capability,power-drops are certain.I would just switch up to a gas-upgrade,or newer electric drive system.Unless you have access to an electronics-wizard that can make it all happen reasonably.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO