lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
paramedtim
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery breaking in question

Ok, I got my charger fixed and need to start breaking in my new batteries. But here's the problem. Snow. It's too dang cold to get it out and run it to discharge the batteries. Can I jack the wheels off the floor and run it that way? Will it hurt the batteries, motor or any other components? I would really like to get some breaking in done. It's supposed to be in the mid 60's by the end of next week and I would love to get some golf in. Plus my wife is really mad cause my cart and my Harley take up all the room and I need to get it back to my cart shed at the course.
paramedtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery breaking in question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedtim View Post
.................It's too dang cold to get it out and run it to discharge the batteries...........
And I thought Texans were supposed to tough.

IIRC, you've got a series cart, so it probably would hurt it to let it run for a while at a modest speed with the wheels off the ground. (Duct tape the accelerator????) Or if you could lay your hands on a battery checker that puts a 75A or 100A load on 6V or 12V batteries and discharge them down to about 90% or so SoC one at a time or in pairs.

I don't think it matters too much if you break in the batteries right away or you do it down the road a ways, as long as they stay charged in the interim.

I think scottyb post this a while back, but whoever it was said they had a customer with new batteries that worked out a deal with a golf buddy to play 9 holes with one cart towing the other and switch them around to play the back 9.

Also, if the wife wants the room back, get her to drive the cart around in the cold.

Merry Christmas.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedtim View Post
Ok, I got my charger fixed and need to start breaking in my new batteries. But here's the problem. Snow. It's too dang cold to get it out and run it to discharge the batteries. Can I jack the wheels off the floor and run it that way? Will it hurt the batteries, motor or any other components? I would really like to get some breaking in done. It's supposed to be in the mid 60's by the end of next week and I would love to get some golf in. Plus my wife is really mad cause my cart and my Harley take up all the room and I need to get it back to my cart shed at the course.
Do you have headlights? My halogens are 55 watts each, so you could drain the battery that way.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well that would work, only issue is it will take a very very long time since the batteries will be under no type of load. So good luck
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

space heater
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
space heater
Excellent idea.

Any heating element rated for AC line voltage across the whole battery pack and will probably draw over 50% of the amps they do at 120V since heating elements have lower resistance when they are cooler.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO