lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
carman603
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Drive Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
There has also been an updated brake cable to replace a possible "stretched" stock cable. I heard the life of the internal brakes should be 100 years
Small Block - thanks for all of your great input! Is there a part number for the revised brake cable?
carman603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by carman603 View Post
Small Block - thanks for all of your great input! Is there a part number for the revised brake cable?
JW1-F6341-31-00 and thanks for the nice comment, I try to help when I can.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have worked on Club Car brakes which have the two shoes in each rear wheel, but some of my friends have late model Yamaha golf carts, which have no brakes in the wheels, I understand from reading this forum topic that the brake is in the differential.

One of my friends had what he thought was a brake squeal noise, and it turned out to be relative motion between the axle tube and the axle shaft. The tube is just a simple tube between the inner race of the differential end axle bearing, and the wheel end hub. Is that tube supposed to be trapped by a high torque on the wheel end axle shaft nut, such that it rotates integral to the axle shaft, or is it just a spacer and that outer nut should just be snug and allow relative rotation between the the axle shaft and that tube?

The way it was when I looked at it was loose enough that there was relative rotation between the shaft and the tube, but I am thinking that maybe that should be tightened up enough to stop relative motion, and use that tube as part of the axle structure, since it looks like it locks against the differential end bearing inner race. It's a castle nut with a cotter pin.

I intend to donate to this forum if I get a good answer to this question.
rm32644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm32644 View Post
I have worked on Club Car brakes which have the two shoes in each rear wheel, but some of my friends have late model Yamaha golf carts, which have no brakes in the wheels, I understand from reading this forum topic that the brake is in the differential.

One of my friends had what he thought was a brake squeal noise, and it turned out to be relative motion between the axle tube and the axle shaft. The tube is just a simple tube between the inner race of the differential end axle bearing, and the wheel end hub. Is that tube supposed to be trapped by a high torque on the wheel end axle shaft nut, such that it rotates integral to the axle shaft, or is it just a spacer and that outer nut should just be snug and allow relative rotation between the the axle shaft and that tube?

The way it was when I looked at it was loose enough that there was relative rotation between the shaft and the tube, but I am thinking that maybe that should be tightened up enough to stop relative motion, and use that tube as part of the axle structure, since it looks like it locks against the differential end bearing inner race. It's a castle nut with a cotter pin.

I intend to donate to this forum if I get a good answer to this question.
yes tube should be tight that is a very common problem with them
swampsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks! I'll tighten that axle nut down to ~80 foot lbs and make sure everything rotates properly while jacked up Tuesday.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampsat View Post
yes tube should be tight that is a very common problem with them
Swampsat, Are you sure? I have now checked two Yamaha carts at our club development, both were bought new from Yamaha in 07 (model YDRE...), and on both, both the left and right rear axle tubes could be turned by hand, as the cart sat, not jacked up.

I agree with you that it makes sense that these tubes be tightened down with the wheel end axle castle nut, assuming there is a sufficiently axially attached axle hub inside the differential to react the axial force, against the inner race on the differential side. If these tubes are not tightened down axially, I see no use for them. If they are tightened down, they would add bending strength to the entire axle from wheel hub to the deferential axle gear.

If you could provide or refer me to some type of official procedure for tightening these axle nuts that would confirm that they are coming from the factory wrong in 2 cases, it would be greatly appreciated.

I made a $10 donation to Buggiesgonewild, thanks for your response and dealing with this technical issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm32644 View Post
Swampsat, Are you sure? I have now checked two Yamaha carts at our club development, both were bought new from Yamaha in 07 (model YDRE...), and on both, both the left and right rear axle tubes could be turned by hand, as the cart sat, not jacked up.

I agree with you that it makes sense that these tubes be tightened down with the wheel end axle castle nut, assuming there is a sufficiently axially attached axle hub inside the differential to react the axial force, against the inner race on the differential side. If these tubes are not tightened down axially, I see no use for them. If they are tightened down, they would add bending strength to the entire axle from wheel hub to the deferential axle gear.

If you could provide or refer me to some type of official procedure for tightening these axle nuts that would confirm that they are coming from the factory wrong in 2 cases, it would be greatly appreciated.

I made a $10 donation to Buggiesgonewild, thanks for your response and dealing with this technical issue.
the only thing that i can tell you is that i work at the largest golf cart dealer in the United States as one of the top techs. We do have a manual on this but it is on paper not on disk. Or you can call them yourself.

We see this problem on alot of the carts the nuts will come loose on the axle hub. If you don't tighten them up you will spin the hubs or it will fall off.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampsat View Post
the only thing that i can tell you is that i work at the largest golf cart dealer in the United States as one of the top techs. We do have a manual on this but it is on paper not on disk. Or you can call them yourself.

We see this problem on alot of the carts the nuts will come loose on the axle hub. If you don't tighten them up you will spin the hubs or it will fall off.
Does 80 ft lbs of torque sound like a good number to torque down these castle nuts? It felt about right. There was no adverse result to the cart drive-ability.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

i would go with that
Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
rm32644
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

3 for 3 Yamaha carts looked at so far have loose axle tubes and finger tight torque on the axle bolts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha