lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
hfuller3
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery restore solution on eBay

Has anyone every tried to refurb their batteries? I have read a little about Epsom salt to do this!! Found this on eBay #130647282511. I have to do something batteries are gone so I am thinKing it is worth a try if it works great if not I well I know!!
hfuller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery restore solution on eBay

It doesn't work well or atleast not long.... if this type of 'restore' worked we would all be doing it and the site would be filled with rave reviews.

Don't waste your time or money on this stuff
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfuller3 View Post
Has anyone every tried to refurb their batteries? I have read a little about Epsom salt to do this!! Found this on eBay #130647282511. I have to do something batteries are gone so I am thinKing it is worth a try if it works great if not I well I know!!
My Carryall I came with "reconditioned" batteries from a dealer... I never figured out what that meant, but I always suspected this is what they meant!

If your batteries are absolutely shot, what have you got to lose? I wouldn't pay for the FleaBay snake oil, but a quick google search will show what they're doing with epsom salts, and you can duplicate it.

Chemically, it makes sense, too. Magnesium sulfate is epsom salts. The Magnesium is further to the left on the periodic table, it's more reactive than lead. So the lead sulfate is returned to reactive lead, and the magnesium becomes magnesium sulfite. The problem is, that particulate settles to the bottom of the battery. Eventually, these particles build up enough to form a bridge between plates, shorting them out. In small quantities, it will work.

It's basically free, give it a shot!

And let us know what it did, and for how long.

My "reconditioned" batteries showed a noticeable drop off in range in less than 2 years. But likely that was 2 years I wouldn't have had otherwise....
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Commercially reconditioned batteries are not the same as what is offered on ebay.
2 years is about all you can expect from commercially reconditioned batteries, they cost half as much as new and last half as long....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Commercially reconditioned batteries are not the same as what is offered on ebay.
2 years is about all you can expect from commercially reconditioned batteries, they cost half as much as new and last half as long....
Scotty, do you know exactly what they do to "commercially recondition" batteries?

I've always wondered about this....
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car