lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default Where's the speed?

Hi all! I recently rebuilt a 1984 Melex that has been stretched limo style and lifted 4" and on 22" ATV tires. I am running 8 6v Deka Gc15's brand new, an Alltrax Axe 4865 500 amp controller, and an Advanced fleet speed ch-4001 48v motor. Everything is wired together with 2/0 welding cable. I have programmed the controller to 100% current, 100% speed, ensured that all tires were inflated to 20 psi, but it tops out at 14 mph. 1/2 speed reverse is not enabled and i tried reversing s1 and s2 just in case. The torque in this cart is unbelievable, it will downright throw you off the back of the cart without the seat backs if you stab the accelerator, but it is so lackluster at speed. I was expecting at least 18- what gives?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where's the speed?

It sounds like you either have a very low geared rear end or the motor is low rpms?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It sounds like you either have a very low geared rear end or the motor is low rpms?
I'm pretty sure the motor is the culprit, designed for torque and not speed, although I was duped the the "fleet speed series" on the can. Simple man is the only other person I know of that has this motor, and he uses it to pull boats. Interestingly, there are no specs available anywhere. You can google for days and youre lucky if you find just a price for it. Advanced wont return my call.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

I reached out to plum quick via their website yesterday with several questions about turnaround time, whether 25% was an average increase in speed to expect from a bandit conversion, how to ship, will I retain my stock shaft, etc. I explained my situation in the form, and I got back one response "if you have great torque, put 8:1 gears in your cart". No answers to any of my questions about their bandit conversion. Gear changes are more involved, more time consuming, and more expensive than a motor swap, otherwise I would be going that direction. Little off putting that I can't get answers to my questions about their product. I replied yesterday and again asked for answers, but have not heard back.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Sorry, got a response back last night, stuck in spam folder. Said I really should look into high speed gears and that they are priced about the same as the conversion. Why are they trying to convince me not to buy their product? It costs less, is easier to do, and I know it will work. I don't even know if the high speed gears from an 88 and up ezgo (the closest i can find) will fit an 84 Melex rear end.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous View Post
I'm pretty sure the motor is the culprit, designed for torque and not speed, although I was duped the the "fleet speed series" on the can. Simple man is the only other person I know of that has this motor, and he uses it to pull boats. Interestingly, there are no specs available anywhere. You can google for days and youre lucky if you find just a price for it. Advanced wont return my call.

I'm not sure what rating mine is. It doesn't list the speed. I do know my rear axle is way different than a standard golf cart. " Advanced " seems like a secret organization! I haven't been able to find out much about my motor, either!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Found this but not sure if it will help http://www.adcmotors.com/AC-DC_Motors.pdf
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous View Post
Sorry, got a response back last night, stuck in spam folder. Said I really should look into high speed gears and that they are priced about the same as the conversion. Why are they trying to convince me not to buy their product? It costs less, is easier to do, and I know it will work. I don't even know if the high speed gears from an 88 and up ezgo (the closest i can find) will fit an 84 Melex rear end.

Just a thought, Larger diameter tires for speed, if you want to go that route. I'll also say I'm with you on the neck snapping torque! You don't floor mine from a standstill!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Just a thought, Larger diameter tires for speed, if you want to go that route. I'll also say I'm with you on the neck snapping torque! You don't floor mine from a standstill!
Yep, further evidence that this motor has a high number if windings for more torque and less speed. You're running three marine deep cycle batteries with yours and pull boats if I remember, right?

I'm already running 22" tires and have to trim my wheel openings a bit more to prevent any rubbing during turns or with heavy weight, so taller tires are out of the question.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
By the way, what top speed do you get in your cart?

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts