lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
bigrufus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Broken Leaf Springs - Shocks

Cart 2001 Electric EZGO PDS
I've owned the cart for approximately 4 years and I have broken 3 leaf springs. Two on the driver side and one on the passenger side. I have the "speed chip" installed and I play on a muni course, but I wouldn't describe it as rough terrain. I weigh 230 pounds and I am probably the heaviest person that routinely rides in it. Could this be because the shocks are bad? Is it happening because the cart isn't designed to go that speed "off road"? Do I just need to buy heavier duty springs? Any advise is appreciated.
bigrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broken Leaf Springs - Shocks

A few things come into play.If it had a broken leaf,and was run long after that without being repaired,it will cause the other leafs on that spring to fail.The speed is more of a factor if the springs are rusty/crusty.The rust will actualy undercut the leafs and further help with breakage,since the leafs are now separated,and not working together to carry the load.If the shackles at the rear are frozen,preventing the spring from moving as it should under extension/compression.Frozen shackles will cause the springs to flex along their length and warp instead of their normal deflection over the entire length.You should be fine with a new set of stock springs if you don't run alot of weight.Just make sure the shackles are free,and the bushings are in good shape thru the frame.New shocks wouldn't hurt.They don't actually support the cart,but they resist the bouncing,and help control the deflection.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Where are you purchasing these springs? They should last a lot longer in normal usage.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree.. they should last longer than normal... I would buy the H/D springs... I think you would be impressed with how they well they work...
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
bigrufus
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought them from an authorized EZGO dealer and they were represented as standard OEM springs.

I've considered the H/D springs, but I have heard that the ride isn't as good and broken springs aren't that common. This seems to not be the case with my cart. Is the difference in ride that noticable?

I should add that it has been very dry in Kansas. Because of the drought, there is a little drop off from our cart paths, but probably no more than 3-4 inches in the most severe places. Could this additional stress be causing the breakage? I only know of one other person at our course that has had a broken spring and his cart was a lot older than ours, so I don't think this is a common thing, even at our course.
bigrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Bigrufus... I do not think you will be able to tell that much of a difference between the H/D springs and the OEM... The only difference i have really noticed is in the pocket book.. I am not replacing the springs anymore.. LOL

I live in West Virginia.. my home course is what i consider rough terrain... I did have some problems with the spring on my cart.. When I changed to the H/D springs 7-8 yrs ago.. my problem was solved... Only bad thing is.. you should replace both springs at the same time.. hope this works out for you..
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I put HD springs on my buggy and the ride is fine. I do have two extra batteries and a rear seat.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

I bet you will like the H/D springs better in the long run better than the factory!!! congrats..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO