lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
URBANNGUERILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hub Removal... Need help/suggestions

I called Scotty a couple weeks ago and left a message but I have not heard back from him. About a month ago I bought 2 of Scotty's "pinch hubs" because I stripped the drivers side hub out when going up an incline.

After the hubs arrived I took the stripped (drivers side) hub off without much problem. I WD40'd the spline and took a flat head screwdriver and pushed all the metal shavings and gunk out of the spline valleys so they were clean & the hub would fit. Not a single problem... the new hub bolted right up and everything was perfect.

I went around to the passengers side and jacked the cart up to change the un-stripped hub out. This went on for a couple hours at least.. from spraying WD40 to beating the old brake face cover (to create vibration), to trying to pry the brake cover/hub combo off.... and I could NOT get the stinking hub off- no matter what I tried. I eventually gave up and put the wheel back on without changing the hub out. I'm almost OK with it like this, EXCEPT... I KNOW I will take this thing to the woods and at the MOST inopportune time it will strip the other hub out. I'll probably be in the middle of no where when it happens, without a floor jack, without the other hub, and probably without any help around. I really would like to get the other hub changed out to the HD hub set, but I just don't know how. My brother suggested taking oxygen/acetylene torches and trying to heat the outer brake/hub to get it to expand off the spline a little bit- which might make it easier to take off. I just don't know if this is something we should try on a golf cart. I thought maybe there would be a better suggestion before we break the torches out and possibly ruin something.

Does anyone know how I should go about getting this hub off?? Please?
URBANNGUERILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hub Removal... Need help/suggestions

There are a couple of things you can try. Visit one of your professional auto parts stores that rent tools, and ask for a "hub removal tool" it looks like this.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBw&dur=4252

Another option is a slide hammer with an attachment that will bolt to 2 or 3 lug studs.

But first make sure that your drum brake shoes are backed off. The shoes can hold on and make pulling the drum difficult.

Good Luck! Its just a pain some times.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #3
rib33024

Default Re: Hub Removal... Need help/suggestions

As ORTitan said you can try and leave the nut a little loose on the hub and drive it around, some times it will work it's self loose, good luck with it

but they can be a bi**h

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post550314
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO