lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: kf-82 valve train

I am getting ready to open up my valve cover to see whats going on? I have a very loud ticking sound going on which speeds up as RPM increases so I presume the noise is coming from here. Seems to have started when I changed oil and overfilled due to cart being raised and not knowing better. Started over with the oil change and only put in the correct amount but shows low on dip stick, ticking still there. With it being a 1991 I presume it has the KF82 engine even though someone has placed 350cc stickers on cowling. I've looked at oem engine diagram and it looks the same. I just hope when I pull the valve cover off I don't find parts just laying in there. Runs fine other than this.
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

A KF82 is a "flathead" 90 degree engine. An FE350 will be a 45 degree engine with overhead valves ( valve cover at the top of the engine). I think the KF82 is around 350cc though.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Mine would be the KF82 flathead as you described. I pulled the valve cover off and everything appears to be fine there, no adjustments available for the valves, is this correct? I pulled the belt off and the ticking noise is coming from the engine.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

KF82 is a 341cc, so close enough for the decal I suppose.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

350 sounds cooler than 341 and probably a lot easier to find a decal for....lol
GAC: the different size tappets(little buttons between lifter and valve) is the way you adjust the clearance. Like I said in an earlier post, there are many different sizes. Have you checked the clearance? There is a way to cheat with the tappets if there isn't enough clearance. It involves a file.......haha
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

GAC: A ticking could be in the valve train or in the crankcase such as crank end play or the oil slinger on the rod cap is bent or broken. If it's more of a knocking sound, then it's most likely a rod knock or piston slap. Run it until it blows up.....
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Did you take the motor out? A common failure of KF82s is connecting rod failure. I think what happens is one of the rod bolts backs itself out of the cap and starts banging against the backside of the engine block. The noise gets louder as the bolt backs out more and more. Eventually the bolt breaks off and the rod comes apart. The two KF82 engines in my basement did this. One was the original motor in my '87 cart. When the noise first started, my father-in-law thought it was an exhaust leak and didn't worry about it, then it gave up the ghost while I was driving it last summer. That's how I ended up with the cart. You may have a chance to fix the problem before it gets any worse, but the crank may already be egged-out at this point. Once the rod starts coming apart it can shear into the crank.

I hope that you find it's something else causing the noise but that's my experience. Here's my thread I posted when I was working on the motor, with pics:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...oval-kf82.html
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

Clubcarjeff: It is not a knock, that would scare the heck outta me. It is a tick that speeds up with rpm but does not get any louder. I would think if it was a clearance issue causing a tick it would be too much clearance and thus no grinding needed. The buttons were in place unlike another thread I read where someone found one laying loose in there.
Craig: No I didn't remove the motor, I just pulled the valve cover off to peek inside which is a pain with carb still on. I mainly opened it up to see if there were any parts laying around out of place. Boy your's was a mess and well passed this novice.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

I guess I'm still asking if you checked the clearance with a feeler gauge and what the valve clearance was.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

No, at this point I was only looking for loose parts. I was standing on my head and using a mirror....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car