lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
aero_rider
Not Yet Wild

Default Driven clutch play

I've got what seem like a lot of play/wobble in my driven clutch on my 89' Marathon. I took the cart out for a drive and it sounded really loud and rattled. Got back to the garage and found the driven clutch bolt laying on the cart frame. So I went ahead and pulled the clutch off and cleaned it really well inside with some brake cleaner which actually helped another issue I had with the drive belt dragging when I let off the gas pedal. But once I cleaned the clutch and went to put it back on it had a lot of play on the end and the clutch wouldn't "square up" when I tightened the bolt. I'm wondering if I have the wrong washer on my driven clutch. Should there be a lot of play between the driven clutch and the washer or should they fit snug together?
aero_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Driven clutch play

Welcome to BGW They should fit tight together no play. Is the outer edge of the clutch damaged due to the bolt being loose? Try to post a pic if possible we'll see what you have.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
aero_rider
Not Yet Wild

That's what I'm hoping is not the case.....lol. When I get home from work I'll take the clutch off and post a couple pics.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
aero_rider
Not Yet Wild

Here's a pic of the driven clutch and the washer. As you can see there is a noticeable difference in size between the washer and the driven clutch hole. It's this the right washer or am I missing a bushing from the clutch.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Wow sure don't look right to me. Think there is something missing. You may be better off trying to find a replacement Used clutches are often in the BGW parts forums I'd check there are post a WTB.

LOU
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
aero_rider
Not Yet Wild

Well I "bandaded" it last night. I made a spacer out of 7/8" round stock and drilled a hole for the bolt on a lathe and tapped it into the end of the clutch. No more free play in the clutch. I think I''ll order a new washer though and see if it fits better than the one I have now and to make it right. I think the PO reached into a golf cart parts bin and grabbed the first washer they could find.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Ahhh the ole lathe and drill trick works every time. You'll find the original washer is just a cup shaped tin washer with a 3/8 hole in it. Your probably correct the past owner didn't have a parts bin I'd say if it's working leave it alone until you have to make a serious change as long as it operates and don't damage the splines on the rear end.

lou
Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That looks like the drive or primary clutch washer. Wrong washer.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO