lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
whers_the_snow
Not Yet Wild

Default newbie with a few questions about my cart 1988 ezgo

hi all,
i'm new to this forum as well as to golf carts in general and need a bit of input/advice.

i recently bought a 1988 ezgo with a robins engine, crank bearings failed so i installed a new crankshaft, seals, bearings, piston, cylinder, and gaskets. along with a new spark plug, air filter, and both the drive belt and the starter generator belt. also put new 20x8x8 tires on as the old ones were weatherchecked and slowly leaked...

after getting the cart running and put back togather tonight i took it for a drive. runs pretty good compared to before the bearing failure! but i'm not entirely satisfied with the outcome just yet.

first off, how do i absolutely KNOW that my oil pump is working? i have 1 - 1 1/2 gallons of gas in the tank and 6 oz of 2 stroke oil mixed along with the oil injection reservoir full. i dont want to have to go through the hassle or the time/money to replace crank bearings AGAIN in this cart so i want to be absolutely sure its working. i drove the cart maybe a 1/2 mile total after being put back together and it seemed to be just ok for now. wasnt smoking as much as i thought it would be for "double oil" so it leads me to wonder....tried manually running the oil pump with the cart on jackstands and it wouldnt smoke itself out or load up on oil like a snowmobile would...

second, my cart turns further to the right than to the left. i'm assuming there is something not put together correctly in the steering gear box? maybe i'm wrong. it also has what i would call significant play in the steering which i'd like to reduce but doesnt seem to be in any of the balljoints.

third, how fast should this cart go? there is no governor on it anymore and along with the bigger tires i was able to get a gps reading of 22 mph.

sorry this got so long but i have a lot of questions and need some help. thank you in advanced!
whers_the_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: newbie with a few questions about my cart 1988 ezgo

Welcome to the forum! The 88 is a special year for the 2-strokes (as I'm sure You've figured out ordering parts and all) but the good news is You've got 11hp there instead of the other 2-strokes from that era which were rated at 9. Not a HUGE deal but definitely noticeable side by side, congrats.

As to knowing if the pump is working, the best (and only) way I can give advice there is to without question tell you to pull it off and throw it away, start running 128:1 premix in your fuel tank. These older oilers are VERY prone to failure, and unfortunately the only way to know when (not "if", but WHEN) it happens is when You lose that brand new motor. Get a 6mm bolt about 1/2" long, at the top of your intake is the banjo bolt where the oiler hooks up - pull the banjo and replace it with the new 6mm bolt (to stop any air leaks) and then proceed to follow the oiler system backwards, removing everything as You go (about a 15min job). Trust me - this is a VERY good thing to do, yeah mixing gas is a little bit of a hassle but FAR cheaper than having the motor redone again. 128:1 again, that's the correct factory spec mix for Your engine (one oz 2-stroke oil per gallon of raw gas).

The steering, another common issue that generally traces to a worn steering box, etc. For around $80 on Ebay You can get a full rebuild kit for it (possibly find a better deal still at one of the site sponsors, they're always willing to go out of their way for BGW members as a rule) - it's about an hour to do the new gear, boot, Ball Joint, etc but I've done it on several old Marathons and it really tightens things up nicely (which after 25+ years in service they generally NEED). The "Right vs Left" thing is also normal to a point, even with everything dialed in perfectly with the steering You'll get that (unless it's like "flip the cart" or "rubbing" bad, then you could have a bent or missing stop on the axle, something is bent that You're not noticing, etc) but my guess is You're just noticing something that seems abnormal butis actually just the way these carts are, an extra 5% or so to the Right (gets a bit worse or more noticeable on a lifted cart too, fair warning)

My 88 is running on 22" tires and easily hits 23-24mph on the flats with 2 riders, if I bump the tire pressure way up there I can get 25 but that's about it for these 2PG carts. Run it against any 4-stroke EZGO out there though and You'll be impressed - these pull nicer, generally faster off the line as well as across the board. If You need a bit more torque, hill climbing ability, or takeoff power You can always drop your drive belt size by an inch (in your case a Dayco HP3004 should do the trick nicely) and the difference is immediately noticeable, although You *will* lose about 2mph-ish on the top speed. Def worth the tradeoff if You do a lot of offroad, hills, etc.

Hope all this helped, again WELCOME !!!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO