lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
brdfrd
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Default Taylor-Dunn does't see to get full power

Hi all--new here and I just picked up an old b2-48 to haul stuff around the yard. It didn't want to move too much when I went to look at it, but the mechanical speed controller was pretty oxidized from arc-ing.

I took it completely apart and thoroughly cleaned every part and contact. I also tweaked the linkages so that they were all parallel, aligned, and moved freely.
Th batteries are fairly new and all read 6.1 volts before charging, and the cable connections are clean. Once I went through all of that it worked a lot better, but it seems like I'm only at half power going forward. Reverse seems to be fine.

Looking at the wiring, it appears the forward/reverse switch just reverses the polarity, so forward and reverse should be the same, no? I'm wondering if it's the motor and thinking it needs brushes and the comm cut.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Brad
brdfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Taylor-Dunn does't see to get full power

im having a similar issue my my TD same model as yours. it has 5 stages of speed. on mine I can feel all 5 steps but the cart doesn't feel like it has much power and im only getting maybe 8mph out of it.

I downloaded the manual on TD,s website but its absolutely useless when it come to diagnosing a problem.

this cart has got me lost simply cause on all 4 studs on the electric motor show 36 volts when the cart is at a stand still,
davekayse62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
brdfrd
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Yeah, it doesn't seem to kick in at all until about half throttle. I pulled the motor and the com was pretty blackened--I cleaned that up and cleared the gaps between the contacts. the brushes were worn, but not too bad. It's definitely a little better now, but still not right. I don't expect it to be fast, but it's still pretty slow and doesn't go up any incline very well.

I popped the caps on the batteries, and while they all had 6+ volts a couple had low cells. So I refilled them and am re-charging now. We'll see if that makes any difference.

Brad
Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
brdfrd
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Well, all that helped--but there still seems to be a difference between forward and reverse.

Brad
Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

well at least your moving in the right direction. I've been searching for a service manual that shows how to test the electrical system but I've been coming up empty
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
brdfrd
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

That wouldn't help me that much--the wiring on this one has been hacked up pretty good--the key and f/r switch have been by-passed, so it' always "on", it has a golf cart f/r lever now, and there doesn't seem to be too much of the original wiring left. But, hey--it works, sort of.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

hmm that sucks, my wiring is hacked up also, but its mainly just the options.

maybe we can help each other out but checking voltage or Ohm out certain parts. odds are that we have the same part failed may be slim.

my cart seems to be fine just it is slow and gutless. I only get about 8mph and it really slows down on hills. seems to go the same speed on foreward and reverse though.

do you feel the 5 speed stages at all?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As I remember, some of the old resistor carts used only 3 of the batteries in the pack for reverse. It is possible that you are running the forward speeds on only half of your battery pack! Wouldn't hurt to check!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
davekayse62
Not Yet Wild

simple,. but do you think if I put it in reverse I would go full speed? sorry im just frustrated with this thing
Old 05-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
barngal
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Hey, wondering what happened with this? I also have a b 248 and same problem. Goes fast in reverse, slow going forward and crawls up an incline.

Mine used to go faster and I have a battery issue to resolve, but wondered what you came up with? For future reference, at least

thanks, Jenni
barngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts