lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZ-GO PDS Field Map #4 File

Depending on the 500, it may already be set to 400. The only way to tell is hook a computer to it. Yes, replace the solenoid. Files are in the mail. I got them from another forum member so paying it forward.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
lrod007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Depending on the 500, it may already be set to 400. The only way to tell is hook a computer to it. Yes, replace the solenoid. Files are in the mail. I got them from another forum member so paying it forward.
Yep, just got them. I will keep them and hope to the same some day.

Thanks again for the files!
lrod007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
lrod007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

.... and for answering the solenoid question kgsc. :-)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't go cheap on the solenoid or you will be reinvesting again in the future when you eventually do go 500 amps!
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #15
lrod007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
Don't go cheap on the solenoid or you will be reinvesting again in the future when you eventually do go 500 amps!
oh boy! I hope I did ok by buying this one: "http://blockbustergolfcarts.com/36voltsolenoid120seriestowertypewithsilvercontacts 4terminalfore-z-gosystems-1.aspx". What I did notice was the price is cheaper than other places but seem to look identical to the pricier ones.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrod007 View Post
oh boy! I hope I did ok by buying this one: "http://blockbustergolfcarts.com/36voltsolenoid120seriestowertypewithsilvercontacts 4terminalfore-z-gosystems-1.aspx". What I did notice was the price is cheaper than other places but seem to look identical to the pricier ones.
Probably isn't a good match for a 500A controller, even if turned down to 400A and if you later decide to go to a higher voltage battery pack, you will have to replace the solenoid.

The best choice for anyone that isn't sure if they will be staying at 36V or upgrading to 42V or 48V is the 48V Super-Duty solenoid (400A continuous/1000A peak), but the vendor you've listed only shows the 36V version, which only works at 36V. I've used the 48V one I have at both 36V and 42V, and others are using it at 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #17
lrod007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Probably isn't a good match for a 500A controller, even if turned down to 400A and if you later decide to go to a higher voltage battery pack, you will have to replace the solenoid.

The best choice for anyone that isn't sure if they will be staying at 36V or upgrading to 42V or 48V is the 48V Super-Duty solenoid (400A continuous/1000A peak), but the vendor you've listed only shows the 36V version, which only works at 36V. I've used the 48V one I have at both 36V and 42V, and others are using it at 48V.
Thanks for your input JohnnieB and great point. I guess I'm too new to understand the insides of a solenoid, I was under the impression the resistor could be changed to support higher voltage (shows you how much I know).

What would be your recommendation as a good amperage for the controller to be set and support the current stock engine?

Again, I appreciate all that are jumping in an voicing their opinion.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for your input JohnnieB and great point. I guess I'm too new to understand the insides of a solenoid, I was under the impression the resistor could be changed to support higher voltage (shows you how much I know).

What would be your recommendation as a good amperage for the controller to be set and support the current stock engine?

Again, I appreciate all that are jumping in an voicing their opinion.
The resistor isn't actually part of the drive system. The drive system will run without it. It just keeps the solenoid contacts from arcing as much.

Dial the DCX500 down to no more than 400A. The only times the motor draws max amps through the controller is when you are accelerating from a standstill or bogged down to walking speed going up a steep hill. Once the motor is spinning more than a few hundred rpm, it will not draw more than two or three hundred amps. When cruising on level ground, a cart motor typically draws in the 50A to 75A range.

If your cables, solenoid and battery pack are properly sized and in good condition, you should get about 24MPH on stock height tires at 36V.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #19
lrod007
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The resistor isn't actually part of the drive system. The drive system will run without it. It just keeps the solenoid contacts from arcing as much.

Dial the DCX500 down to no more than 400A. The only times the motor draws max amps through the controller is when you are accelerating from a standstill or bogged down to walking speed going up a steep hill. Once the motor is spinning more than a few hundred rpm, it will not draw more than two or three hundred amps. When cruising on level ground, a cart motor typically draws in the 50A to 75A range.

If your cables, solenoid and battery pack are properly sized and in good condition, you should get about 24MPH on stock height tires at 36V.
WOW "24MPH"... that's a very nice surprise! Is that even with stock motor?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
WOW "24MPH"... that's a very nice surprise! Is that even with stock motor?
Yes, stock PDS motor, DCX400 controller, 18.3" tires and a 36V battery pack. It went 28MPH when I switched to a 42V pack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO