lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Default 36V to 48V question

Hey guys, this may be a newbie question but, I have recently converted my 36V (6/6Vbatteries) to 48V (6/8Vbatteries) and I have a few questions. I already upgraded the controller, solenoid, and cables. But I have a question on the charger port. I was planning on using an RXV charger/charger port because I have a bunch of them. The cart charges just fine with the charger port and charger but what I'm wondering is where do I wire the reed switch wire from the controller? Do I just let it hang or do I need to wire to battery +?

Thanks in advance!!
Cameron
TheFlash16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36V to 48V question

Connect the red wire the reed switch connects to in the wiring harness, to B+.
Solenoid won't activate without it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Thanks JohnnieB! I thought that's what I was supposed to do but I didn't want to damage anything.
Thanks again!!
Cameron
Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When your reed switch finally dies, don't make the same mistake I did by replacing it. My replacement lasted only a year or two, and wasn't cheap. It's a glass magnetic switch potted in plastic/epoxy, and fails frequently. I was fortunate that both of my failures occurred after a charge cycle. The switch opens when charger is plugged in, so the contacts are apart. This allows any broken glass to fall between the contacts, preventing them from closing. I've heard of others failing while driving, as a buggy bounces quite a bit.

"When" it fails, simply bypass it, by cuttinging the longer + wire and adding a ring terminal, and attach it inside the charger port, where the reed switch was connected.

Interestingly, the charger port terminal is angled, allowing the reed switch wire to be routed forward, or backward, to eliminate it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW, If you like the functionality of the reed switch, a microswitch (MS) can be retrofitted to accomplish the same thing. I've looked at mine and it should be a fairly easy installation. Just need a NC MS.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Yurtle, thanks for your reply. I know that reed switches are a common issue. I've bypassed many in time working in this shop. Lol. But what I was going for was hooking up an RXV charger to a 48V pack instead of the TXT charger to a 36V pack. We have a ton of RXV chargers and charger ports so I was just wondering if I was able to bypass it. But I understand what you are saying. Thanks!!
Cameron
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I misunderstood what you are trying to do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO