lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
Brad2002ez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What is function of Rev Limiter?

I have a 2002 ezgo golf cart. I have made some minor adjustments to the govenor by tightening the spring adjustment on the transaxle as noted on this forum. I note there are references to not over tightening to the point of triggering the rev limiter. How will I know if I have done that and what are the symptoms of engaging the rev limiter? I have noticed a little coughing /slight backfire when coasting off upper end speed with no throttle applied?

I assume the purpose of the rev limiter is to prevent the engine from exceeding too high RPM, but how does the rev limiter work?

Thanks
Brad
Brad2002ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is function of Rev Limiter?

If you hit the rev limiter youll hear the engine cutting out at a high rpm. It is supposed to prevent valve float, which is in the neighborhood of 3600 I think. You may be experiencing the coughing when coasting due to the throttle plate not closing fully. If you look through the tech section at the top of the board, there is a thread or two on setting your throttle and the governor. Good luck.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The rev limiter is actually built into the Ignition module, it senses engine RPM and basically keeps the engine from exceeding the factory set RPM limit. On the newer carts with the 13hp Kawasaki engine, the rev limiter is really a joke as the valves will generally float before it kicks in (bad design) but on the older twins it's a nice safety feature to have.

And I heartily second Cowboys advice, that coughing and popping is almost certainly due to the throttle not closing all the way - as suggested, going through your cables, adjustments, etc should make that a non-issue.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Brad2002ez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you. Will make the appropriate carb adjustments to reset throttle plate.
Brad2002ez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
govenor adjustments, rev limiter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO