lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
tohankaaron
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 Drive New TCI No Spark

Cart abruptly quit and will not fire. Cranks fine, battery test good.

Followed the Troubleshooting Guide in the Service Manual. "Engine cranks but has NO Spark" First I changed the Spark Plug. NO Spark. TCI tested outside the parameters so I installed a new one (fun, cause you get to pull the motor to reach it). NO Spark. Checked the TCI wire connector plug, air gap on the TCI set at .016 inch, book calls for .012 - .020. NO Spark. Replaced the Spark Plug Cap. NO Spark. Checked the Ground Wires - both good, wiring in good shape. Replaced the Engine Stop Relay. NO Spark. Checked the Throttle Stop Switch, works fine. Repalced the Main Key Switch, NO Spark.

Running out of ideas here. Anyone see this issue before?

Traced the Ignition Circuit and the Ignition Control Circuit on the Electrical Diagram and I have replaced or tested every component.

I could really use you help, Thanks!
tohankaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2011 Drive New TCI No Spark

Unplug the plug at the base of the motor in front, i think blue & black wires in same plug. Then check spark. The whole ignition system is fully self-contained, the only input it has at all is to short it out (via the plug i suggested unplugging), to prevent it from continuing to make spark. It wants to make spark whenever the flywheel is spinning.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
tohankaaron
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will try that out! If I do get spark with that connector un-plugged, then replace/repair issue will be on that short pigtail of wire between the plug and where it ties into the main wiring harness?
Old 02-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Had the same problem on my gas cart. Traced it back to the negative cable on the battery. The lug had broke off at the starter. Might be worth checking those cables.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
tohankaaron
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help! Engine started fine with that unplugged. TCI unit tested good. I was able to trace the wire harness between the plug and the engine stop relay switch. Found a wire that had rubbed through and was grounding out to the chassis. Made the splice repair. Everything works as it should now.

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
CAMPERCART2013
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nice job cgtech
CAMPERCART2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha