lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Kerrville78028
Gone Wild

Default Re: How are the EZGO's with the Kawasaki engines?

My 2015 EZGO Express has the Kawasaki drive train and I love it. I hardly ever drive my 99 TXT or my old sparky anymore. I really like the torque and feel of the big single cylinder engine. It has a nice sound too if you want to open up the exhaust a bit.
All the brand new carts at the dealer are equipped with the Kawasaki engines so I am not sure about the "not making them anymore" statement.
I would make sure that you get a cart with a TEAM clutch setup as I have heard rumors of previous clutch issues on older carts. I talk to a lot of cart owners at motorcycle rallys and I haven't found anyone that has anything bad to say about them.
Kerrville78028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
natew121
Gone Wild

id say get a ez go or whatever cart you choose if ez go check the frame rails for rust(there known for it) and for the engines vc460 clone swap it(www.vegascarts.com sells engine swap kits complete ! some have seen up to 38mph and + as far as engines go its hard to beat a clone when it comes to power compared to price plus you will not find a cheaper engine when considering performance parts the variety of parts offered is endless ! they can also be modified to make up to 50hp or so some claim i know on old mini bikes.com theres a fellow with a mod gx390 on a engine dyno hit mid 40hp's
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for info..... learning.... I have a EZGO dealer that has some used carts for sale cheap..... will look there every week. I do want a gas motor in whatever I build.
Bronco Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

To all, the not making the Kawasaki motor anymore came from a friend who works for Club Car doing R&D so I kinda believe what he is telling me.. I do know that Kawasaki has cutoff a lot of their small engines in the lawn equipment world because they didn't pass emissions and Kawi said okay we won't sell in the US anymore..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #15
Bravo 3
Not Yet Wild

Bronco, I've got a 2013 TXT / Valor with the 13.5 Kawasaki that I bought New, It's been hassle free and has been a Good cart so far and I'm Really enjoying it !
I'm not sure how different the 9 & 11hp Kawasaki engines are compared to the 13.5, but Club Car has been using them for years and they seem to hold up well if maintained on a regular basis.
Bravo 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:52 AM   #16
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks still looking for Yamaha if I can find one. There are plenty EZGOs around here....
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 3 View Post
Bronco, I've got a 2013 TXT / Valor with the 13.5 Kawasaki that I bought New, It's been hassle free and has been a Good cart so far and I'm Really enjoying it !
I'm not sure how different the 9 & 11hp Kawasaki engines are compared to the 13.5, but Club Car has been using them for years and they seem to hold up well if maintained on a regular basis.
The drivetrain itself is more of the issue than the actual engines (although they did recall about 1000 of them that had an inferior crank rod back in 2010 - that was a supplier issue though so really not to be held against the engine itself) ... There have been critical recalls on the Suspension and Steering Components, and the Clutches have been under a Service Bulletin for years, with the factory providing Fleet Operators with a separate balancer to try and minimize the damages/dangers (I know this as I personally own one given to me by a Fleet Tech who works regionally for EZGO). Add in the fact that the governor gears in the rear end are plastic and can and will eventually disintegrate with continued use at speeds above factory governing which can lock up or destroy the transmission ... Add in the design of the balancer in the engine (new for the EZGO engines and not in the CC models) and the propensity for cracked shrouds and fans on non-lifted carts (I have literally seen Gaylord boxes on skids full of them behind my Fleet Buddies shop) - and it's no wonder that they are in fact dropping the driveline in the next year or two (confirmed again by my buddy who is a Fleet Tech for EZGO).

Are they *Bad* - not really. Are they bulletproof as the pre-2008's? No way. Replace the clutches and the suspension/steering components affected, remove the governor assembly from the trans entirely, and then there is a pretty solid drivetrain to work with and trust. There isn't a lot one can easily do other than a tach to keep them away from valve float without the governor though (they have no rev limiter - float IS the limiter which is a very scary thing and why the factory governors are so harsh) so caution and prudence will always come into play if You expect a Kawi-drivetrain EZGO to last more than a couple of seasons with hard use.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #18
Bronco Barney
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Great info thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO