lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Texastiger01
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 EZGO RXV backfiring after adjusting governor

Hi all, I just purchased a 2008 EZGO RXV with the 13.5HP Kawasaki motor. It was fine when I test drive it, but I had the dealer adjust the governor to make it faster and now it seems to flood at low speeds and backfires loudly. Any suggestions on where I should start to eliminate this. It runs great midrange and top end, low end is the only issue.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texastiger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EZGO RXV backfiring after adjusting governor

The Kawi's are kind of fiddly when adjusted out, the spring on the throttle isn't strong enough to close the carb fully when the pedal is released if the governor is messed with ... Installing a second spring is an option, or some careful (and potentially time-consuming) cable adjustments will help, You want to make sure to have full range of motion at the carb (meaning at full pedal it's all the way open, and all the way closed when the pedal is released) ...

As to the flooding, sounds like an associated issue to the above, likely the carb is opening prior to the microswitch engaging the ignition which can result in either bogging or in some cases, jerky starts that feel like You're taking off at 1/4 throttle immediately (which basically, You are). I'd start by thoroughly going theough all the cable adjustments to get the carb to stay closed until the ignition kicks in, travels to full throttle with the pedal mashed, and returns to full closed when the pedal is released.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Texastiger01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Brew! I have got the adjustments pretty much tuned in. I'm running 14 MPH stock. Is that the speed I should expect after tweaking the governor? Or should it run faster?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Texastiger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Mine runs 26 with 21 inch tires at 4k rpm give or take.. Like brew said they are bit tricky to get right but I took my throttle cable loose to tweak it where it would start and stop without back firing
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My way. Take the cable off, loosen the bolt holding the linkage going to the carb. Set the idle so it will start and stop without issues. Now hold the linkage against the idle stop and spin the governor to the stop where it would be at idle and tighten the bolt. Hook the cable back up and tweak. As a note, my governor bracket was misaligned and had to adjust that to
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Kerrville78028
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastiger01 View Post
Thanks Brew! I have got the adjustments pretty much tuned in. I'm running 14 MPH stock. Is that the speed I should expect after tweaking the governor? Or should it run faster?

Thanks again for the help!!!

Mine ran 17mph stock on 22" tires. I now have it doing 27mph after adjusting the governor.
Kerrville78028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO