lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Keadymen
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Driven Clutch

I put a "performance spring" in the driven clutch of my G1, it made very little difference excpt wearing a hole in my clutch face. Problem now is even with a puller I cant get the clutch off ?

Anyone else ran into this ?

john
Keadymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Driven Clutch

From my experience I would say the new spring had nothing to do with the hole in your clutch. I'm guessing your talking about the aluminum side of the clutch. These machines are getting old and many of the clutches in these G1's are badly worn. I had to reface mine and am expecting it to start breaking through at any time. When I turned mine down some on here told me I was running on borrowed time. Your time probably just ran out is all.
Wish I could help you with getting it apart. Good luck.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

For the secondary 'driven' clutch. Get a rod of steel about 10" or longer maybe 3/4" diameter. Figure out (with that lovely G1 body in the way) how to get the end of it on the back of the secondary inside sheave between the ramps and the rod against the trans case, or straight on as you can get. Do not mess with the spring holder hub thing that runs on the ramps (has plastic shoes on it). Maybe you can do it from under the rear bumper easier, I can do a G9 under or take rear body off and just over the bumper. Then whack it solid with a 3lb hammer a couple times. Be careful to keep it in the heavy part of sheave at base of ramp for every blow. Then turn to next ramp and repeat, turn, repeat, etc. Make sure you loosen the nut on the outside sheave and take the belt off before hand, keep the nut on a couple threads. When it pops loose remove as usual.

The belt wears into the aluminum, more sand the more it wears. This screws up the shifting of the cvt! A G1 can get around off road pretty well with good clutches. You are much better off to bite the bullet and buy new alum sheaves and/or a new primary if its the same problem. What you can do with worn clutches is get a wider belt (1 1/4 wide instead of 1 3/16) and same length. This will help some but worn sheaves just don't shift right.

Performance spring typically make it stay revving more at low and into mid speeds.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:27 AM   #4
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadymen View Post
I put a "performance spring" in the driven clutch of my G1, it made very little difference excpt wearing a hole in my clutch face. Problem now is even with a puller I cant get the clutch off ?

Anyone else ran into this ?

john
This is not a rare problem. This is just normal wear and tear. If the cart was driven in sandy terrain most of its life it would certainly help speed up this process.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:29 AM   #5
Field6565
Gone Wild

Yes, the stronger spring would definitely put more stress on the clutches.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha