lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #1
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1984 EZ GO 2pg 2 cycle ran 5 minutes after rebuild

Hey everyone, so last night I finished a rebuild on my 2pg. I replaced the crank bearings, crank seals, and piston/rings. The head was honed but not bored, all gaskets were replaced with the use of ultra gray sealant. I've installed the piston in the right direction (square hole to intake side). I gave everything a good coat of 2-cycle oil during assembly. Now when I fired it up it ran so unbelievably good for about 5 minutes....then is seemed to be loosing power until it wouldn't even start. I am not getting fuel flow from the pump and couldn't get it to try to start with a very small spray of either....I hate the stuff but I was hoping to hear an attempt to start. I'm assuming I have a lower end compression loss but I can't seem to think where to start looking? Spark is strong on grounded plug. If anyone has any ideas where to go from here, please let me know.
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
restore49
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1984 EZ GO 2pg 2 cycle ran 5 minutes after rebuild

Open up the fuel pump and check for contamination or ripped diaphragm - kits a only $8. No Either.
restore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's possible that one of your crankshaft seals migrated out. Did you use any locktite, or stake them?

Pull the fuel pump, put your finger over the hole, and turn it over. See if air pressure pushes your finger off.

You can also blow air into the hole , and listen for leaks. One other option is to pull a vacuum at the fuel pump hole to check for leaks.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by restore49 View Post
Open up the fuel pump and check for contamination or ripped diaphragm - kits a only $8. No Either.
Thank you for the quick responses guys, I will do this as soon as I get home today.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #5
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
It's possible that one of your crankshaft seals migrated out. Did you use any locktite, or stake them?

Pull the fuel pump, put your finger over the hole, and turn it over. See if air pressure pushes your finger off.

You can also blow air into the hole , and listen for leaks. One other option is to pull a vacuum at the fuel pump hole to check for leaks.
I did not put locktite on them, I visually inspected the seal on the clutch side and that one looks to be fine and in place, I will have to pull the flywheel and check the one behind that. This is one of those situations where I kinda wish it didn't tease me by letting me know how well it wanted to run. I couldn't believe the rebuild had the clutches engaging smoother, it sounded better....I was blown away..........and then the old girl took the joy right away :(
Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Do you know if it is possible to remove/stake the seals without splitting the block again? If this is the issue I would hate to ruin my sealant coated gaskets and have to buy another set but if I must, I must
Old 07-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

All you have to do is remove the flywheel, but I would test through the fuel pump pulse hole before taking the engine out again.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a quick update I pulled the fuel pump and while I had compression coming out of the hole it wasn't the described "blow your finger off the hole" so I'm going to now tackle the possible blown off crank seal. I will update later....
Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Very nice grab....the crank seal behind the flywheel blew off....going to loctote and stake. Thank you very much
Old 07-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey guys a quick follow up question, everything has been resolved that we previously discussed however an old issue is still lingering with the fresh rebuild.....when I try to go slow down a hill the cart seems to sputter, it only does this going down hill I'm assuming it's something with the throttle cable linkage (my little spring is installed between the carb and stop nut on the cable) do you guys have any thoughts on this one? I've tried searching other threads and all I can seem to find is constant sputtering. The car runs great the side from this little downhill sputtering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO