lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Default disappearing oil

I have an Ezgo marathon with a 2002 4 stroke motor. I purchased it as is and the motor was completely rebuilt by a professional. It runs awesome and there are 0 leaks, however oil is disappearing at an alarming rate. The compression is 150 on one cylinder and 155 on the other. I drove it for around 6 hours over a weekend and it died. I checked oil and it was empty. I put a full quart in it. Every time I ride it I have to add oil. Every once in a great while i can see white smoke but it is rare. I took it back and watched him disassemble the top end of the motor and it looks brand new. The valve seals looked brand new but he replaced them again anyways. The carb float was stuck but he cleaned it and said it shouldn't be a problem. Also the exhaust was completely loose and he remembered tightening it the last time. When you stop at stop signs it backfires from time to time (when exhaust was loose it ran super loud and backfired a lot). We compression checked it again and it is still 150/155. He is not sure what to do. He has been building engines for 20 years and never had anything like this. Again there is no oil leaking anywhere. Please advise. He is a friend of mine and wants to help me but he has no idea how to help me.

Last edited by Barbersham; 08-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: disappearing oil

Back firing is usually caused by the throttle plate not
closing all the way when you let up on the peddle.

As far as the missing oil, there is a crankcase vent tube
that goes from the crankcase to the air cleaner (or carburetor),
could be sucking oil back into the motor but you should see allot
of white smoke.

Does it have a lift fit?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
Barbersham
Getting Wild

No lift kit. It loses a ton of oil though and there is no evidence of how it disappears. If it goes in crankcase vent tube where does it go? How can I fix the problem
Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Backfire can also be caused by loose or leaking exhaust or muffler. Only 2 places oil can go to get out of the motor. Leaking, or out the tailpipe. Going through it like your talking about should be easy to figure it out. You state 0 leaks so it has to be going through the engine and out the exhaust. What type oil are you using? perhaps it dosen't burn well so not much smoke???
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Charles M
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The piston oil rings could be installed up side or wrong
Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Barbersham
Getting Wild

When the head was off you could see the oil rings were leaving a nice trail of oil. No residue left on piston. No black anywhere. The guy has rebuilt 500 motors the exact same way every time.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Crankcase vent tube. Would that let a lot of oil go thru the system? Does it vent the oil out the exhaust?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Using 5w30. Same stuff he runs through all his engines. He is mystified as to what is happening to the oil. It seems like the hotter the engine is the faster the oil disappears. Might be my imagination but it seems like if I drive it for 2 hrs straight I use more oil then if I take it for 4 30 minute rides
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Barbersham
Getting Wild

The exhaust points directly at the ground. Could be just not seeing it
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #10
Barbersham
Getting Wild

If the piston rings were on backwards would it still have great compression?
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO