lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #1
Predataber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Troubleshooting and tools for Marathon rebuild suggestions

I have a great deal of small engine 4 stroke experience but nothing much in the 2 stroke world. I imagine there not too much diffidence but I'm still not comfortable with this engine over manual start setups (Pull or kick). I will need a new ignition (or bypass). I believe I should be able to jump it until it starts to fire. I will order a new starter and TAV belt right away. New fuel line and filers all over. I'm used to removing engines to work on them, in this case that would be unnecessary, correct?

In short I have a really rough 89 marathon with a 3pg that they say was running recently and I don't want to mess up my shot with getting involved in the buggie game.

Will adding a lift kit on it now help with repairs? Or is that just irresponsible in a none running cart?

I have limited space and tools so if there is anything that really helped anyone from presses to types of pry bars jacks hoists should I "hot wire" during the repair phase or order the ignition now?

There is some body rot I intent to cut out and hope to find some after market panels and exterior parts to work with.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Predataber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Troubleshooting and tools for Marathon rebuild suggestions

Step back, take a deep breath, and let's figure out some stuff first.

One of your posts said that it turned in reverse, and not forward before it died.
Did they mean turned over with the starter, or actually ran?

You also mentioned buying a new starter. DON'T DO THAT. Let's figure out what is wrong first.

You mentioned not having a key. Jump the wires behind the switch.

Start with this thread. The first post has your wiring diagram. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...3pg-carts.html

Test the starter to determine if it needs brushes, or possibly nothing at all.

Let's get the engine turning over first. After that, we will try to check compression.

If you are still set on just going for the rebuild, Crankshaft seals, and fuel pumps, are the main failures.

I couldn't get your pictures to work either.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Predataber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Step back, take a deep breath, and let's figure out some stuff first.

One of your posts said that it turned in reverse, and not forward before it died.
Did they mean turned over with the starter, or actually ran?

You also mentioned buying a new starter. DON'T DO THAT. Let's figure out what is wrong first.

You mentioned not having a key. Jump the wires behind the switch.

Start with this thread. The first post has your wiring diagram. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...3pg-carts.html

Test the starter to determine if it needs brushes, or possibly nothing at all.

Let's get the engine turning over first. After that, we will try to check compression.

If you are still set on just going for the rebuild, Crankshaft seals, and fuel pumps, are the main failures.

I couldn't get your pictures to work either.
Thanks for the feed back, yeah I'm a bit panicked. I charged the battery and went to Hotwire it and one of the high gauge wires just straight fell off. So that's a major setback. But I will check out the diagram you mentioned to hopefully rectify that. My guess was the starter was pushing it in reverse. The toggle switch turnes on the lights and the directional lever make the reverse tone when in reverse. For some reason the choke lever is just hanging not connected to anything and I don't see any governor. The exhaust manifold bolts are not there either.

Thanks for the advise, I'll see where that wire came from hopefully, then progress from there. Any more advice, feel free to keep it coming. :D
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
Predataber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It was the 7 day rule on the pic posting. It should work now...
Old 10-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Predataber
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

http://https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0kGdIsha0gJa7
Old 10-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Definitely an 89 with a 3-pg.

Looks like a clown puked on it, but has some good potential. You have a lot of work to do before even thinking about a lift.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO