lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
diesel97
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger blowing 50amp fuses

I'm having a problem with my power-wise charger. Last week I attempted to wire it as an onboard charger and cut off the black and white wires from the receptacle and discard the D plug. Before going any farther I decided against it as I posted here and was advised I did not do that. So I rewired backup originally how it was to the D receptacle. My charger would only charge when I jumped out the relay. So I ordered a new board. Installed new board and instantly blew 50 amp fuse inside of charger. Tested both diodes its 427 ish on both. Problem is is when I plug in my D plug to the D receptacle without the charger plugged into AC power it instantly Sparks at the receptacle and blows the fuse. The new board is green in color and the old board is beige. Wondering if this has anything to do with it. I originally thought I rewired the receptacle wrong back to the batteries as far as I could tell black goes to ground and the white wire goes to positive. When I stick my meter in the receptacle I do have 36.3volts there.
diesel97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
diesel97
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger blowing 50amp fuses

The 2 boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170307_100104.jpg (162.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170307_100108.jpg (147.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The control board has nothing to do with the output fuse blowing. It is just a semi-smart on/off switch.

What is blowing the fuse is either the D-plug/D-receptacle is miswired, or the diodes are bad.

Looking onto the D-receptacle from the front of the cart, the positive radsok is on the right. (see attached picture for top view) When the D-plug is inserted, the white wire of the plug connects to the white wire of the receptacle and black to black.

The diodes ought to measure low Ohms with test lead connected on one direction and high Ohms when the test leads are reversed.

To me, 427Ω sounds too high for forward bias and too low for reverse bias, so I suspect the diodes. Replace them both if either tests bad.

1N1184 diodes will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger receptacle with top off.jpg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

1N1184
Good price here:
http://www.newark.com/solid-state/1n...o-5/dp/10P3920
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
diesel97
Not Yet Wild

thx guys I will try and replace the diodes.problem is I now need a new receptable as when it sparked it deformed the terminals inside.and it wont plug in now...Grrrr Oh yea when mounting the new diodes do I drill through both plates and mount that way?I kinda at at loss now I'm gonna be getting new batteries before long and wonder if the powerwise is worth it to fix and be best for my new batteries.id really like to swap to the Qc onboard now seeing I need a new receptable or just go with a new receptable and a DPI or powerwise ...Decisions!!!!

Last edited by diesel97; 03-07-2017 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Remove the entire diode assembly and toss.

Bore two holes in the aluminum plate the old diode assembly was mounted on and bolt in the new diodes.

New radsoks are not cheap, but a good on-board charging isn't either.

You mentioned a Qc charger. Is that a Quic-Charge charger or is it a Powerwise QE charger?

The PW-QE isn't worth the effort, while the Quic-Charge is the only on-board charger I would use if I had to go to an on-board charger. It is pretty much the on-board equivalent of a DPI Accusense.

If there is a possibility of going to a 42V or 48V battery pack when you have to replace the batteries, I'd fix the D-receptacle and 36V Powerwise 28115 charge and go with a DPI to match the new battery pack voltage when the time comes.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The 48v version of the Delta-Q quiq can also be programmed for 42v, but not 36v as far as I know.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
diesel97
Not Yet Wild

Thx guys..yes i meant the Quick Charge charger...i looked them up and can get the 36v 12...15..or 25 amp charger.is the 12amp not enough and should go 15 or 25?thx again
Old 03-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel97 View Post
Thx guys..yes i meant the Quick Charge charger...i looked them up and can get the 36v 12...15..or 25 amp charger.is the 12amp not enough and should go 15 or 25?thx again
It depends on how deeply you typically discharge the batteries and how much downtime your cart has overnight.

The 25A version recharges the batteries in about half the time it takes the 12A charger to charge them and the 15A is somewhere in the middle.

A 36V - 225AH battery pack typically takes in the 6 to 8 hour range to charge from 50% SoC with a 15A charger.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
diesel97
Not Yet Wild

thx again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO