lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default RXV moving by itself

Hey

I am not so familiar with the rxv, and I don't really like these cars because they are touchy, so RXV experts please chime in. First off, the cart won't run right away from the start. You need to flip the tow/run switch, then turn the key switch on and it will start driving ok. Once you come to a stop, after a few seconds, the car will slowly start jerking backwards in increments. It only lasts for 5 or 6 seconds then stops. After that when you push the pedal the car won't run again until you mess with the t/r switch again.

Also, I know these carts have the automatic braking but you can move this car freely without too much resistance, whether it's in tow or not, so I think that is an issue too. At this point I'm suspecting the controller because I know these carts are touchy systems especially the controller. The only advice I got from a friend is he thinks it sounds like a diode is leaking in the controller allowing it to start jerking backwards like that without depressing the pedal

Please let me know what you guys think
Thanks
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV moving by itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
Hey

I am not so familiar with the rxv, and I don't really like these cars because they are touchy, so RXV experts please chime in. First off, the cart won't run right away from the start. You need to flip the tow/run switch, then turn the key switch on and it will start driving ok. Once you come to a stop, after a few seconds, the car will slowly start jerking backwards in increments. It only lasts for 5 or 6 seconds then stops. After that when you push the pedal the car won't run again until you mess with the t/r switch again.

Also, I know these carts have the automatic braking but you can move this car freely without too much resistance, whether it's in tow or not, so I think that is an issue too. At this point I'm suspecting the controller because I know these carts are touchy systems especially the controller. The only advice I got from a friend is he thinks it sounds like a diode is leaking in the controller allowing it to start jerking backwards like that without depressing the pedal

Please let me know what you guys think
Thanks
The first thing I would check is the Motor Brake, which is the parking brake for the cart, and the Run/Tow switch itself. What year is the RXV? If the cart rolls without the motor brake being disengaged, then that definitely indicates the motor brake is not operating properly. The Motor Brake is at the rear end of the motor itself, and has a 2 pin plug plugged into it. When you unplug that plug, does the cart still roll? if so, you will need to buy a new Motor Brake unit. If unplugging it stops the cart from rolling, then it could be a bad Run/Tow switch, or the Motor Brake bypass plugs/sockets are in bypass mode. Remove the plastic panel over the controller and read the instructions printed on the that panel about releasing the brake. Make sure that those plugs are plugged into the correct sockets for normal operation. #1, #2, #3, and #4. With the key off, even if the plugs are wrong, the cart should not roll.

Verify this before moving on to checking more.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Sounds like you have a curtis controller RXV... (Black heatsink over resistor-- with hot stamped on it)

Your friend does not understand RXV's , leaking diode will not cause RXV's to move.
Leaking MOSFET could cause a D.C., cart to move but never cause an RXV to move.

RXV's have A.C. motors which require ACTIVE control from controller to move.
A simple stray current or short circuit will not turn an A.C. motor.

Symptoms sound like bad motor brake.
Does cart jerk forward or backwards when key is turned on?
if so motor brake is bad.

when replacing brake, DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN 3 10mm bolts.
Just compress lock washers then maybe 1/2 turn snug.

Too-tight = ruined brake.

P.S. if brake is bad, it usually stinks.

If you need more info please post.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the responses.

The car does jerk backwards when the key is on yes. I believe the heat sink on this car is silver not black. The controller is a grey looking plastic and it has a strange layout in terms of the connections. I don't know the year of the car, but it is an earlier one because it uses the horrid 4 12v battery system.

I always understood these carts to never move until you released a lever near the motor, especially when the cart dies on you. Is the brake replacement generally easy to do? Or is it hard to get access to in terms of room

Thanks again
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Get serial no. from label on the bottom of the steering wheel shaft. Enter it here:https://shop.ezgo.com/my-vehicle/ to get the year.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Brake replacement is quite easy. T-27 torx bit to remove rear access cover. 3x 10mm bolts to remove motor brake (be sure on level ground with wheels blocked). Once you get at least 2 of the 3 bolts started on the new brake, plug it in, with tow run switch in tow, put key switch in neutral to release brake & make install easier. Be sure to get correct engagement on the end of the motor shaft. Tighten the 3x 10mm bolts just enough to compress lock washers. BTW- brake with lever is no longer available, so the brake you get won't have one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I had similar issues to your first paragraph. I ordered and received a new motor brake. I then discovered I had 1 bum battery. I replaced the battery and I haven't had any issues with it starting or bumping.

Here is my post on it

Your second paragraph doesn't jive with my experience though and does sound like motor brake.

It worth checking your batteries charge though.
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO