lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

Default Rxv quick battery replacement question

I have a 3 year old rxv with us batteries , 48v. At full charge, after I run about 2 city blocks, the meter is at 1/2. After 9 holes of golf it is at 1/4.
I am sending it to the shop tomorrow. I think I am going to tell him to put a new battery pack in it. Doesn't make much sence to me to just replace one battery in the pack as it has a few years on it.
Should I stay with 48v or upgrade to 72V?
What are the very best batteries? Trojan rangers?
Thanks for any advise!
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Rxv quick battery replacement question

Upgrade to 72v! I can't wait to hear what controller they put in there that will play nice with all the Rxv stuff!

Just kidding, stay at 48v, but do consider the upgrade to 6x 8v batteries if thats not what it already has. There is no simple upgrade path to 72v on Rxv unless you find some Bad boy Buggie 72v system to put in there (which probably still won't work with stock motor brake) .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

Yikes! I am trying to make my cart more reliable, not less. Yes, I have 4x12 now so 6x8 is a good idea.
I assume I need a new battery tray to hold them?
New wires.
What brand and model of batteries for the rxv?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
kirksingleton
Getting Wild

I also want to note that I just use my cart 3-4 times a week to play 18 holes. It is about a mile each way to the course and home.
My local dealer is getting ready to close shop so I am really looking for the most rock solid proven setup that will last as I am not sure who will be working on it in the future.
Are the Trojan 105 good enough in 4x12? I just hear good things about the ranger. Most people are talking about the txt though and not the rxv.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think 105s are 6v
Going 6 X 8v, Trojan 875s are a popular model

Taken good care of, 5 years possible
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The Trojan 105 is a 6v battery. Would require 8 of them to make 48v. Not possible to do in your situation.

Converting the cart to 6x8 volt batteries instead of the 4x12volt batteries is a good idea. Longer range per charge and longer service life also. To do this requires the replacement of the battery rack and some high current cables. The parts are readily available. There would be a one time charge for the parts and labor in addition to the batteries.
The Trojan T-875 is the most common 8volt battery for this application. As you can see from the chart they would give about 13% more range than the highest capacity 12v batteries all else being equal.
The Rangers would give about 36% more range. Two issues here. Much more expensive and may be overkill for your use and I believe they are taller than the 875's which could be a problem fitting under the seat. I don't know the answer for sure as I haven't seen it done.

The picture is an RXV with the six T-875's installed. Performance is the same as a cart with the 12 volters in it but range is noticeably better. In my opinion it is a better cart with the 8 volt batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 x 12V versus 6 x 8V Jan 17.jpg (275.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (365.3 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't play golf, so I tried to drive it until I needed to tow it home. Never happened due to batteries.

I wear it out and get my money's worth. I "had" to finally replace my 9 year old Excides when you could outrun it uphill on foot. I also wanted to go to 8, 6 volt T-105s, etc.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
...I wear it out and get my money's worth. I "had" to finally replace my 9 year old Excides when you could outrun it uphill on foot. I also wanted to go to 8, 6 volt T-105s, etc.
I have been wondering about this...
First off, I'm not trying to rile anyone and my own observation may be more of an exception than the rule but...
...In many related threads I keep reading about damaging the controller with low voltages etc.

My own experience with my recently replaced (5yr) Interstate batteries in a '97' stock 36V TXT DCS cart...Out of ignorance I was running the cart on such poor batteries (I was not monitoring voltages) after a full charge they would just barely get me 600' up and down a hill to feed the flocks...I did this all fall and winter...sometimes when they were really low if I pushed the pedal too far the motor would just vibrate and I'd back off a bit and it would get me back up the hill...

Hence finding this site and the excellent information and insights I've learned a lot and continue to absorb more...so I am just wondering was I just lucky I did not damage the controller etc. or are the stock controllers not as vulnerable?...this one is 20 years old and although I would love to upgrade to a modern controller etc. I'm the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type...
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO