lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
jmauld
Getting Wild

Default 2Five

If I were going to look at a used 2Five, is there anything in particular that I should look for?

Are they prone to rust or corrosion issues if they've been at the beach?
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2Five

I'm very happy with my 2Five. I wrote review here in BGW.

Here is what I have heard about issues (mostly here from BobBoyce and CGTech)

-2013 and up have a better controller and perhaps better power.
-In 2014 there was a switch from 4x12 volt batteries to more desirable 6x8 Volt
-2014? and up have beefed up charger connector (older connecter had problems)
-2015? And up have better sealed wire harness thats less prone to corrosion.

As with any hydraulic brake system the 2Five system can have issues if the cart sits unused for extended periods (more than a year).

The 2Five is 90% RXV and have similar track record to the RXV, which seems pretty good.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
jmauld
Getting Wild

Thanks for the info.

I was going to go look at one this weekend, but it looks like it sold today. Oh well, back to waiting for the next one to show up on craigslist. Or just get a RXV.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

They can be hard to find. I had a heck of a time finding a used one too.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:30 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The 2Five is a good little electric car. As FluxCapacitor said, the 2Five starts out its build as an RXV with some distinct differences.

Key points are...

The frame is identical except for the serial number, which is in legal VIN number format so that a state title may be issued. Here is where I depart on my desire to own a 2Five, which I will explain after.

The rear axle is not exactly the same as an RXV axle. The 2Five rear axle has a numerically lower gear ratio, which results in a little higher speed per AC motor RPM. It is also not a limited slip differential. For off-roading, this is a disadvantage, but not a deal breaker. The rear axle has different axle tubes and the front spindles that are equipped with caliper mounting points. The front and rear hubs are equipped with disc brake rotors.

The floor pan for the RXV and 2Five are identical, and contains channels and mounts required to support the mounting and linking of a dual circuit hydraulic master cylinder, inside of a metal framework that contains a bellcrank, which is operated by a cable to the brake pedal assembly. There are 2 hydraulic brake lines, front and rear. Each of these are split to operate both calipers on each of those axles.

The 2Five wiring harness lacks the brake switch circuit of an RXV, so the parking brake does not double as an 'emergency brake' if you stomp the brake pedal hard. This is actually dangerous on an RXV, because the motor brake is more likely to destroy itself than it is to stop an RXV in an emergency stop condition. I speak from experience.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...naway-rxv.html

The 2Five wiring harness also does not have the RXV State of Charge meter socket. It is replaced with a Speedometer socket. The 2Five speedometer contailns a built-in State of Charge and a small digital display that doubles as a trouble code display. The 2Five harness also contains a CAN bus in both the Danaher and Curtis configurations to support that speedometer. In 2014 and later, both the 2Five and the RXV harnesses contain a CAN bus that the Curtis controller is programmed to support a GPS accessory.

The lights, windshield, front and rear bumpers, seatbelts, ect. are all designed to comply with motor vehicle safety standards on the 2Five. All of this adds weight.

Now for my dislike of the 2Five. It is not the vehicle itself that I have a problem with. It is the law that it operates under. The following is a coarse overview. There is minutia that applies, and I will not delve into the minutia because it varies based upon legal jurisdiction...

I do not agree with corporate government regulations that allow for vehicle titles to be issued in place of true ownership documents. I am a constitutionalist. I studied constitutional law, and I had been declared an expert on constitutional law in several court jurisdictions. I feel that we all have a right to own real property, and our originally founded republic form of government was replaced by a foreign owned corporation operating within a corporate patch of land known as Washington DC. This corporation operates under a corporate form of law, the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) instead of our founding documents. Trickle down corporate law designates sub corporations, such as states, counties, cities, municipalities, ect. to manage the lands and properties within their corporate borders. I will not elaborate here, but suffice it to say that in many cases of true property ownership of anything of greater value, ownership has been replaced with titles. A title is a right to use, based upon vested financial interest, but is not a true ownership document. True ownership belongs to the entity that issues the title. In the case of motor vehicles, that entity is the top corporate government with assigned jurisdiction over the lands in your region. In most of this country, that power falls upon the state corporation. This is to ensure that motor vehicles are, and remain in, compliance with federal and state regulations, or you may lose title to that motor vehicle. This is how they have the authority to sieze your motor vehicle and keep it or sell it, if you fail to comply with every regulation that they impose.

I look for exemptions in the regulations that allow for the operation of privately owned vehicles, that are exempt from the legal definition of 'motor vehicle'. A bill of sale or receipt(s) is all that you need to prove ownership. In place of a registration and license plate, you carry a copy of the relevant regulation and a plate printed with the appropriate state statute number/chapter/sub chapter and the words REGISTRATION EXEMPT. There may still be 'rules of use' for exempt vehicles, but they are usually designed for safety and technically are not legal since your privately owned vehicle is totally exempt from corporate law. Most law enforcement officers are not taught full constitutional law, so they are usually unaware of the difference between a motor vehicle and a privately owned vehicle. Court cases I was involved in were related to confiscation of privately owned vehicles, operating these vehicles without license plates, and driving without drivers licenses. I will state for the record, that I never lost a single case that I was involved in. All charges had to be dropped, and every vehicle had to be returned to the owner. By law, they had no right to take the personal property of the citizen. Period.

Drivers licenses are permits to allow private citizens to operate corporately owned (titled) motor vehicles. No drivers license is required to operate an exempt privately owned vehicle. Golf carts are not usually titled, therefore if they are not titled, they are privately owned vehicles. You must do the research to determine if they are covered by one or more exemptions in your area. At this time, Texas is the only sovereign territory in the corporate US. Texas did enter into a reciprocity contract with the corporate US, but never relinquished that sovereignity.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #6
jmauld
Getting Wild

In the town that I live in, I can ride on any <35mph street with a non-titled golf cart. My interest in the 2five is because the town next to us requires that you have a LSV to drive on the street. My wife and I both like to go to the other town, and currently we have to take our full size car or bicycle.

I think I can get a RXV titled in NC through some cart dealers here, but they charge $1000 for that service. I also like that the 2Five will do 25mph stock, has 4 wheel brakes and the more modern windshield/top. Neither one of them are deal breakers, but if I can find a 2Five in good shape and that is within $2-3K of the comparable RXVs then it would be worth that premium to me.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
In the town that I live in, I can ride on any <35mph street with a non-titled golf cart. My interest in the 2five is because the town next to us requires that you have a LSV to drive on the street. My wife and I both like to go to the other town, and currently we have to take our full size car or bicycle.

I think I can get a RXV titled in NC through some cart dealers here, but they charge $1000 for that service. I also like that the 2Five will do 25mph stock, has 4 wheel brakes and the more modern windshield/top. Neither one of them are deal breakers, but if I can find a 2Five in good shape and that is within $2-3K of the comparable RXVs then it would be worth that premium to me.
In NC, only an approved NEV OEM can assign a VIN number to a golf cart that has been converted by adding the required equipment and certifying it as compliant with the regulations. To be legal on the roads in NC, an NEV must be capable or reaching at least 21 MPH, and not exceed 25 MPH. I know the regulations well in NC. There is a state exemption in NC that can be applied in special circumstances, but there is also a statute specifically written to allow golf carts to be permitted or prohibited by local jurisdictions. Where in NC are you?

I was an EV/NEV OEM up until I closed that business in december of 2016. A later model stock RXV that has the Curtis controller can be programmed to run 25 MPH or higher with nothing more than programming. I still have that programming capability. I do not recommend it on the road unless disc brakes are added to at least the front axle. With higher speed, safety requires brakes that are capable of stopping you. The regen brakes are good with factory sized wheels/tires, but there must be some redundancy.

I have the E-Z-GO part numbers for everything required to put factory hydraulic 2Five disc brakes on an RXV, and they are compatible with the stock RXV wheels/tires. I have factory 2Five wiring harnesses and other parts, ect. for my own use. I try to help people out with RXV issues.

Bob
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
jmauld
Getting Wild

I'm at Carolina Beach. The only real requirement they have is that you have insurance and lights if you're operating at night.

Kure Beach/Fort Fisher area requires tags on the carts.

What's the cost to put the front brakes on a RXV, or can you share the part numbers?
Is it difficult to find someone willing to program a RXV to do 25?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
I'm at Carolina Beach. The only real requirement they have is that you have insurance and lights if you're operating at night.

Kure Beach/Fort Fisher area requires tags on the carts.

What's the cost to put the front brakes on a RXV, or can you share the part numbers?
Is it difficult to find someone willing to program a RXV to do 25?
I don't sell parts or services. I can supply you with the E-Z-GO part numbers, but you'll have to contact an E-Z-GO dealer to order those parts for you. Few 2Five parts can be bought directly from E-Z-GO.

While you can find dealers or individuals to provide you with Freedom mode capabilities, I do not recommend it. Freedom mode locks the ability to adjust certain high level parameters that may need to be tweaked to customize performance and braking feel. Freedom mode will still limit you to under 20 MPH top end with stock tires/wheels. Larger tires/wheels or changing gear ratio for higher speed will reduce torque and reduce braking effectiveness. It takes a Factory or Developer level programmer to alter the upper speed limit in a golf profile. Once that is done, you may need a few braking curves tweaked to adjust the braking feel at the higher speeds to your liking. I prefer to adjust those parameters while the cart is being operated by the person that will be driving it.

Bob
Old 03-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bob,
Excellent info on the differences between RXV and 2Five. I feel slightly more reassured with the 2Five brake system over the RXV, particularly when my wife takes out the 2Five with the kids on "real" streets.

Jmauld,
From what Bob described above it may easier and cheaper to add aftermarket front brakes over adding a full 2Five setup to a RXV.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO