lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
rking1998
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1998 EZGO TXT help needed

If I upgrade my wires/cables, will I need to do anything with the wires to the F/R switch?

Also, is there a big difference between the battery types? I have found a few that advertise 447 minutes at 25 amps for a 6V battery. Is this a case of you get what you pay for?
rking1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hello rking1998

I have the exact same 1998 DCS cart.

First thing I did was get new batteries. I like spending my money on things I can see visually on my cart.

The hardest thing for me was spending a year buying things such as batteries, controller, motor, cables...after the first year and when looking at the cart, you could hardly tell anything was different.

However, with all the upgrades it sure ran faster and would think more reliable.

After all those internal upgrades... finally got to put money towards the eye candy such as seat covers, flip seat, new wheels, LEDs lights, Bluetooth speakers and so forth.

Upgrade the internals first and you will have a good platform to make it what you want.

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #13
rking1998
Getting Wild

Skip,
When you were doing your upgrades, did you do anything with your forward/reverse switch? I cannot find any info on what to do with it on the DCS cart.

I agree with your plan of action. I am looking at batteries, cables, controller/solenoid.

But my wife is looking at seat covers, paint, wheels, etc.

The problem is that my wallet says "wash it and you are done...". Also, I have to be able to use this cart as I am upgrading it.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The DCS cart is a sepex drive. The F&R switch does not need to be upgraded in this type of drive system. F&R upgrades are for Series drive carts only
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Dangerousdan55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Exactly what all the guys said....
For the "Exact" size battery area in the cart, as you go up in Voltage, the amperage Will go down.
So, which ever is changed(volts or amps) there Will be an opposite change in the other. "It's the absolute law"

Also, just for the hell of it, that also holds true for fluid transmission. On a water hose, you restrict the water flow(gpm/amps), automaticly the psi/volts will increase.
Pressure is voltage, & flow (GPM) is amperage.

Now the Only way to change that "law" is to increase volume capasity via physically increasing the size of the battery or the number of batteries(in parallel of course).
Look at regular flashlight batteries. AA, AAA, C, & D. All the same voltage, but different Amp Hour capasities & sizes. And each used on the same toy, which battery do you think will last the longest?

Sorry for the rambling, but I hope some guys learn a basic electrical law.
Keep the shiny side up!
Dangerousdan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #16
rking1998
Getting Wild

I was looking at my cables for replacement. To the motor, I have four cables. Two (black) are larger and two are smaller (black one and white one).

I would like to, someday, take my cart up to a 48V motor and I want to make any mods with that in mind so I don't have to replace again later.

My question is, should all four of the cables be upgraded? Also, is 4 gauge enough or should I go ahead and put in 2 gauge? Will the cover go back on over my controller/solenoid with cables that big?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #17
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I took this from a previous post by Scottyb
"Alltrax recommends 2GA for their 500 Amp controllers"

You can get more information from the horse's mouth here
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-cables.html

I will upgrade to 2 GA that way you are done with it. I'm ok be of those that goes by the motto if you can do it you must over do it :)

Regarding the cables of a DCS motor I'll let someone in the know answer that one. I'm a series guy :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

overkill is under rated...if you plan to go 48v-go big(2g)...these stock carts are only designed to go 100 yards-rest,repeat...any long-high load use is way outside the design parameters made by the golf cart designers and your individual intent of use must be considered in the upgrades you select...off roaders tend toward torque builds-streeters toward speed-in general....

i know the big wires going to the motor will need to be upsized-the small wires i am unsure...if you order a setup from scottyB-you will get what you need....order a set for 48v because the 36v cables will be too short when you change battery packs....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

For new cables, you need to tell ScottyB whether you plan on eight 6 volt batteries or six 8 volt batteries, when you go to 48 volts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This is a sepex drive cart. The smallish motor wires do not need to be upgraded. They handle only a few amps compared to the hundreds of amps the big cables handle. There are 10 cables in a complete Sepex kit.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO