lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Default Mayday mayday

Alright my txt 48 has been flawless with my xct 400 and new and all new ranger batteries. Well I had a my food PLT disced up. I use me a Moulmein spreader on my cart no problem. Well I made a little drag out of wood with some little rebar spike to drag like a harrow. I am assuming that was too much work. After about 4 passes I started smelling something. And it wouldn't go and I knew my voltage meter was running low. **** kids didn't plug I But I thought I had enough it was down to 45. Anyway I took the drag off straight to the house. Lifted seat and battery's weren't hot. The wires were warm. My digital laser thermometer was showing 140ish the best I could get on the motor housing.

Question is do you think it was to much on motor? Pulling to hard on low batterys?

If that is too much can I at least pull a piece of chain link fence around to cover seeds?

Hope I didn't destroy anything

Thanks again all
wheelnsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mayday mayday

I'm not going to lecture on how dragging anything in soft soil is the quickest way kill a golf cart. I am going to give one piece of useful information. Ohms law. Volts X amps = watts. In this case watts is work. In this equation if volts is reduced amps increase to meet the watt demand. Running a cart on low voltage causes the motor to draw LOTS of amperage which it can't convert to motion so it becomes heat. And heat kills electronics.

I prefer to keep the motor under 150º because when you stop temps continue to increase for at least 30 minutes in my experience.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm not going to lecture on how dragging anything in soft soil is the quickest way kill a golf cart. I am going to give one piece of useful information. Ohms law. Volts X amps = watts. In this case watts is work. In this equation if volts is reduced amps increase to meet the watt demand. Running a cart on low voltage causes the motor to draw LOTS of amperage which it can't convert to motion so it becomes heat. And heat kills electronics.

I prefer to keep the motor under 150º because when you stop temps continue to increase for at least 30 minutes in my experience.
Hey Scotty I respect your input and don't mind a lecture. Is just a piece of chain link fence not digging in too much? I wasn't thinking when I made my drag and it digging in and with the low voltage it "stalled" for not even a second and I quit and went to the house. That has already been scraped. Do u think the smell was from a combo of all 3 drag, low voltage, and stall? You think I damaged anything? I would only pull the fence once a year but if you say 20 lbs is too much to drag I won't do it. Again I respect your knowledge. Thank you
Old 05-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

So I'm not sure if I damaged the motor or not. But on a little run today I get a similar smell that I got yesterday while I was pulling the heavy drag. I am in a wheelchair and scared of it catching fire. Is that a risk I could have? I don't need speed so is there a motor I can replace with more tongue to allow me to pull 5 ft of chain link with no weight or scratch the whole idea. Thanks in advance y'all

Wheels
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Can you describe the smell? Use an IR thermometer to see what is hot. Motor, solenoid and controller will be hotter than ambient. Cables, cable ends, batteries, etc. should not be much hotter than ambient. Try and determine the source of the smell. You may need to recruit a few people for this, as sniffing a smell could desensitize your nose. Is it possible the plow threw dirt/seeds/mulch, etc onto the motor or differential? Brakes?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
wheelnsniper
Getting Wild

Thumbs up Re: Mayday mayday

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Can you describe the smell? Use an IR thermometer to see what is hot. Motor, solenoid and controller will be hotter than ambient. Cables, cable ends, batteries, etc. should not be much hotter than ambient. Try and determine the source of the smell. You may need to recruit a few people for this, as sniffing a smell could desensitize your nose. Is it possible the plow threw dirt/seeds/mulch, etc onto the motor or differential? Brakes?
It's was plowed by a friend tractor. I don't see my seed spreader throwing seeds up there. The harrow I was pulling was a good 10 ft behind me. I know it sounds wierd but it has a sweet smell to it. Not quit electrical. All the cables 4ga were slight warm but not hot by any means controller was ambient. By infrared thermometer was saying 140-160 on the motor case. I talked to I think it was Robby at plum quick today. He said the shelack (sp?) on the coil will have that smell and I could of got it just hot enough to start breaking that down

On that note. What do y'all think of plum quick? He said he could build me a high torque that should solve my issue. I don't need nor want crazy top speed
Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

sounds like torque is what you need-thank for your service and sacrifice-God bless you and your family...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
crash test dummy

i wonder when people will realize it's a GOLF CART
not a tractor , not an ATV , and not a hunting buggie

Old 05-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

PQ can build you a nice motor or you can find off the shelf high torque motors pretty cheap these days. Admiral sells a very dependable line up. The MOT-B1 produces about 3 Xs the OEM power and maintains the original speed or better for just over $400 without a core charge
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #10
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Definitely not a tractor, mild use ATV, and probably more hunting buggies built on golf carts than ATV and UTV put together..
We can build it for how we want to use it.

The best is the guys that plow snow with golf carts!
I lived on the Canadian border for 10yrs and plowed snow with a full size Chevy 4x4 with a 8 ft. Bed full of weight , even with that thing was tuff hitting drifts and piles at 20 mph.

But your probably talking about a stock golf cart thats built for golf or a paved path!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
i wonder when people will realize it's a GOLF CART
not a tractor , not an ATV , and not a hunting buggie

Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO