lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
speeedracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Disc Brake or engine swap or ??

Okay, have a 2008 48v RXV that I've had to replace the brake disc multiple times along with the solenoid as I keep getting the random brake lock issue. After three times having the brake lock and eject passengers and then fight to get home I'm looking for a more permanent solution. Was thinking is there a way to get rid of the brake system and convert to drum/disc type set up? Or do I need to swap out this whole engine/brake set up to remove this issue. Any thoughts or suggestions I'm open to...just tired of fighting this thing.
speeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Disc Brake or engine swap or ??

You should stop replacing solenoids, you are throwing away money. The first replacement was much better quality than the original. If you are still having frequent lockups, I suggest going after the encoder, and checking/cleaning the wire harness, harness is prone to corrosion problems around the batteries, the area near the motor,, and just in front of batteries. Take a spray bottle & mix baking soda water. Spray all wiring until no more bubbles form, rinse with clean water, allow it to dry thoroughly (a fan in the area wouldn't hurt). Warning - this could cause the cart to no longer operate, if It does, your wiring harness was alteady trashed by Corrosion anyway.

One thing I forgot - Rxv is very picky about good batteries, how are yours & how old?

The solution you suggested is not gonna work. You can't just remove the brake, or swap in a different type of motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
speeedracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, I'll start with the cleaning process and see if that gets me anywhere. Can't see any visible signs of the harness being corroded but it's worth a check.

It's time to replace batteries but I'm wondering how that is connected to the random brake lock up?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeedracer View Post
Okay, I'll start with the cleaning process and see if that gets me anywhere. Can't see any visible signs of the harness being corroded but it's worth a check.

It's time to replace batteries but I'm wondering how that is connected to the random brake lock up?
Rxv motor brake is normally locked, it unlocks when controller sends it power. If voltage drops too low, controller goes into "emergency shutdown", this turns off everything, including power to keep brake unlocked. Old batteries drop much lower voltage when load is applied. The brake on the end of the motor is not for slowing down the vehicle, it is for holding the stopped vehicle still. The corrosion will look like salt all over the wires. I am Ezgo certified in rxv repair, and have worked at the dealer for 10 years.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
speeedracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. Time to go shopping for new batteries
Old 08-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Rome3433
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Rxv motor brake is normally locked, it unlocks when controller sends it power. If voltage drops too low, controller goes into "emergency shutdown", this turns off everything, including power to keep brake unlocked. Old batteries drop much lower voltage when load is applied. The brake on the end of the motor is not for slowing down the vehicle, it is for holding the stopped vehicle still. The corrosion will look like salt all over the wires. I am Ezgo certified in rxv repair, and have worked at the dealer for 10 years.
CGTech, you mentioned the brake on motor is not for slowing down the vehicle, what brake is responsible for slowing down the cart? I'm going to be building an RXV used for work that will need to slow down going down hill with a load on it.. Wanted to upgrade the braking system.
Rome3433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome3433 View Post
CGTech, you mentioned the brake on motor is not for slowing down the vehicle, what brake is responsible for slowing down the cart? I'm going to be building an RXV used for work that will need to slow down going down hill with a load on it.. Wanted to upgrade the braking system.
Regenerative braking is what is used for normal operation. You shouldn't be slamming the brakes on an RXV. When you take your foot off the pedal the regenerative braking system kicks in and charges the battery.

Depending on the model you can have it updated to be more responsive to your needs. If you have the Curtis 250amp controller in the cart there is an RXV wizard who can reprogram it on the forum.

You shouldn't have to ride the brake on an RXV.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
Rome3433
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, Imapled. It will be used for hauling materials down a hill. Want to make sure the actual brake can handle slowing down a load. On EZGO website it says they can tow 3 carts which is about 3000lbs. Wondering how that would handle braking down a slight hill.

Side note, I was trying to find this information online but am unable. Does the 2012 RXV have a limited slip rear?
Rome3433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

All rxv electrics have posi, the motor braking would be less effective on loose surfaces without it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO