lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage sensing clip in charger handle

I recently got a replacement charger handle for my EZGO. I'm trying to figure out if the voltage clip in the handle is needed since the replacement handle I purchased didn't include one.

Also, this might be a stupid question, but I don't even understand how it works since there's plastic around the terminals where you plug the charger in, how does it make contact with the metal?

Thanks for the help.
timstumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Voltage sensing clip in charger handle

Wow, I can't believe no one has an answer for this.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Should have only one plastic sleeve, and it should not be on the side with the sense lead. If your charger cord has 3 wires inside (white, black, small red) you should transfer the sense lead tab.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
bmr4106
Not Yet Wild

Tim, it's not direct electrical contact. There is a miniature relay and a magnet to trip the relay. Very much like a burglar alarm switch. And it can be bypassed, do a search on the forum.
bmr4106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr4106 View Post
Tim, it's not direct electrical contact. There is a miniature relay and a magnet to trip the relay. Very much like a burglar alarm switch. And it can be bypassed, do a search on the forum.
Nope, what we are talking about is a real contact and has nothing to do with the Reed switch.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Nope, what we are talking about is a real contact and has nothing to do with the Reed switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr4106 View Post
The receptacle for the plug has two plastic sleeves on so the clip can't be making contact.

Should I look at removing one of the sleeves or bypass the clip completely?

I just replaced the receptacle and the plug and it does have the white, black, and small red wire in the plug.

Currently the only way I can get the charger to come on is to bypass the board in the charger by hooking together the two black wires. I know this is also a way to see if the board is bad but it's not, I just replaced that as well. Also with the old plug and receptacle I was able to get the charger to come on a couple times (not bypassing the board) by wiggling and moving the plug around.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstumbo View Post
The receptacle for the plug has two plastic sleeves on so the clip can't be making contact.

Should I look at removing one of the sleeves or bypass the clip completely?

I just replaced the receptacle and the plug and it does have the white, black, and small red wire in the plug.

Currently the only way I can get the charger to come on is to bypass the board in the charger by hooking together the two black wires. I know this is also a way to see if the board is bad but it's not, I just replaced that as well. Also with the old plug and receptacle I was able to get the charger to come on a couple times (not bypassing the board) by wiggling and moving the plug around.

Thanks for the help!

This indicates a typical problem The receptacle contacts are worn. They must be replaced. Ezgo calls them 'Radsoks'
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This indicates a typical problem The receptacle contacts are worn. They must be replaced. Ezgo calls them 'Radsoks'
I know, that's why I just replaced them with a brand new receptacle and plug.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

I believe if you remove the sleeve from the side with the contact in the handle, all will be ok again.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
timstumbo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I believe if you remove the sleeve from the side with the contact in the handle, all will be ok again.
The old contacts both had plastic sleeves as well. Are you sure this is right? I hate to tear up the brand new contact. What about bypassing the voltage clip completely? Any down side to that?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO