lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
mattman17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default resistor getting really hot

hi! ok I have had issues with my ezgo cart and tried testing many things and came to realize that my resistor that was on my solinoid was no good. I went on amazon and bought another one that said for 1989+ or something around that year (I think mine is 1992) so I crossed the border and picked up my new resistor that is now green... anyways I install it and closed my eyes and slowly press on the pedal and...Yes its working again! then when I went to check everything I touched the resistor and wow it was hot. so now I'm just confused if I have something major going on or is it possible I now have the wrong resistor?
my old resistor was marked- Dale-cw-5 250 ohms 5%. the one I just bought only says ezgo 21764G1 resistor assembly. I truly appreciate any help in advance I'm new to all of this electric stuff.
mattman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: resistor getting really hot

You left out some information but if you cart is all stock this is what Ezgo states on there website.

The Resistor Assembly is used on 1989-current E-Z-GO Electric Vehicles without DCS (Drive Control System) controllers. This wire resists the flow of electric current and helps to control the amount of current in a circuit, thus protecting a device from overload and damage.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
mattman17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi sorry yes I believe everything is stock on the golf cart I think its a 1992 what should i check? thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
mattman17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was just trying things out and had it in reverse and the wheels turning then I put it into forward and stepped in the peddle and saw some smoke and now nothing is working again.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
mattman17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm think of ordering a new silinoid do I have to buy the same style as I have with the top post or can I save some money and buy the 36v silinoid that have the post on the sides? Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not convinced the solenoid is bad. You can test it with a DVM.
You can switch from the top post style to the side post style but it sounds like you will be downgrading as most top post models are upgraded units. It is key to know and understand the significance of the solenoid amperage rating.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/troubleshooting-tips.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
mattman17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. I'm just confused because I replaced the resistor and it was burning up maybe it was faulty? The cart worked once I changed the resistor but it was too hot to touch when in forward or reverse
Old 07-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Likely the solenoid is not closing and the cart was trying to power the motor through the pre-charge resistor, which burnt it up.

I suggested you to do some testing to see if the solenoid fails to close when it is energized or if the solenoid not being energized.

You can throw parts at the cart and see when you get lucky or you can do diagnostics and find the problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
mattman17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I tested the Solenoid and it seemed fine and I also tested the resistor and that seemed fine ( and still gets hot with power on) is there anything else that would give me a good idea as to where I can be having a problem? should I be getting full power coming out of power box (black thing) if theres any problems at the solenoid area? thanks

Tags
hot resistor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO