lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2017, 04:22 AM   #1
JJ77G29
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha drive LED headlights burning out

I bought a kit on Ebay with the LED head/tail lights with the turn signal kit and horn.. The headlights keep burning out. Not all of the led's but a few. This is my third kit in less than a year now. Its a gas cart. (Voltage to light harnesses is 12 volt.) They look like the Madjax brand but came in an unmarked box with a link to the Madjax youtube install directions. Does anyone have LED headlights that actually work? If so what name brand?
Thanks.
JJ77G29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha drive LED headlights burning out

Get a volt meter put it on your battery and start the cart and run it to full throttle see if its over charging
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
JJ77G29
Not Yet Wild

if it were overcharging what would it relate to?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

12v accessories don't like much voltage above 15-15.5 if your voltage regulator is messed up and putting out 16-17v it could be wrecking your lights
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
JJ77G29
Not Yet Wild

I get that, but the tail lights are fine. its just random LED's burning out. I think they're just a junk product in the end. But I would think somebody out there has had the same problem and found a better light? Ill check the V output while charging. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The tail lights LEDs are not as bright as the fronts. That means they don't use as much power or make as much heat. And are not run as close to their limits. I think the problem is likely a inferior/non existent CC/CV regulator inside the light bar, allowing the LEDs to be driven too hard. A good regulator could handle input voltages in excess of 20v while still supplying proper/safe power to the LEDs. Overdriving an led just one volt above it's ratings is a death sentence to the led (it WILL burn out sooner).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Some leds tolerate voltage better than others. A lot of the aftermarket light kits I see now will go up to say 60 volts so you can run them from the entire pack with no reducer,, If yours are only made to take say 14-15 and you're putting 17 to them they will burn out.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have the Madjax light kit and haven't had any issues for 2 years now...

I installed a voltage meter/usb charger in my cart so I can see what the battery is at when running and when its not....
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
JJ77G29
Not Yet Wild

ok, thanks guys. I think its a matter of cheap aftermarket knock offs. But I will check into the voltage situation.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I ordered my complete LED light kit from buggies unlimited. I have been using them for two years now with no problems.
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha