lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default stuck motor

Hey,

I had a stuck motor today, so I called someone who helps us occasionally for some advice. Turns out he wanted to argue instead of giving me advice, said in his 20 years of working with golf carts that EZGO motors never get stuck...it doesn't happen lol So I can only beat on it with a dead blow hammer/rubber hammer so long, and I don't really want to rip the motor case off the armature with a pry bar Do you guys have any tricks to doing this? This motor is really stuck compared to some others I have had to remove. If I can get to the armature maybe try to pull it off by prying it?

thanks
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: stuck motor

Had a 2005 model year glue itself together at the splined coupler. Had to disassemble the motor leaving the armature stuck to the input shaft of the differential. Had to pop out the snap ring retaining the input shaft bearing and pull the armature and input as a unit. Some heat from a torch and two bearing pullers working against each other finally got it without killing anything.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Well, since the motor coupler & input shaft are already in bad shape anything is fair game. There are stories of taking the whole axle out and pounding the whole thing on the ground (with motor facing vertical to the ground to fall off first). A good trick I have used is this one, remove all cables so motor can spin free, then tow the dead cart around the parking lot, it usually comes loose that way. I have had to use pry bar to pull the motor back enough to get an air hammer in there (last resort).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow did the air hammer crack the coupler/splines? Hopefully it just knocked it off
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTitan View Post
Had a 2005 model year glue itself together at the splined coupler. Had to disassemble the motor leaving the armature stuck to the input shaft of the differential. Had to pop out the snap ring retaining the input shaft bearing and pull the armature and input as a unit. Some heat from a torch and two bearing pullers working against each other finally got it without killing anything.

Wow well hopefully I won't have to pop out the input shaft to rip it out lol
Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Never broke the coupler. But, by that point the coupler & input shaft were beyond reuse anyway. Try the loose motor thing. If you are scared, put some longer bolts in so the motor can't spin or fall off.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO