lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Kit Henry
Not Yet Wild

Default 98 G-16 A Steering Shaft Adjusting In & Out

I have a 1998 Yamaha G-16A that the steering box shaft is moving in and out.
It pulls up toward the driver, and then of course the inner part wiggles all around at the top and the steering gets all kinds of loose, or won't turn one direction.
The steering box was worked on 2 years ago and everything was good until this past weekend.

Does the nut and locked in the bottom of the steering box have anything to do with that. The outer bigger piece has not threads about 1/2 way up it, when you screw back the inner piece out

Thanks
Kit Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Kit Henry
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 98 G-16 A Steering Shaft Adjusting In & Out

Upon further inspection it appears the the lower bearing is also out in the steering box. Are these hard to replace ?

Kit Henry
Old 05-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Mine had a lot of slack, and would sort of unwind in one direction the turn back in the other way. I thought I had a trashed box but found that the lower bearing retainer had turned out a few turns. I snugged it up until I felt resistance in the wheel, then loosened until it turned very easily (cart jacked up by the center so wheels are free to turn). Tightened the locking ring with some loctite and the steering is perfect.

Lower bearing is easy to get to. Turn out the big nut on the end of the steering shaft and you can reach up in and pull out the race. Behind that is what I suppose is a tapered roller bearing. But make sure yours isn't simply loose before changing the bearing.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #4
Kit Henry
Not Yet Wild

No the bearing is shot I can see that so it should just pull out.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Chilly
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I think if you remove that lower bearing adjuster and turn the wheel CCW it'll walk that lower bearing and race out the end of your gearbox. May need to rap the steering wheel with a mallet (gently) to drive it out. Don't go crazy on it, box isn't super durable. Try this with center of cart jacked up so wheels can turn. If it doesn't walk out wait for more experienced advice.

When you rebuild drill and tap steel cover for a grease fitting.

Chilly
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Kit Henry
Not Yet Wild

Good idea on the grease fitting. It came right apart after taking the lower cover off.
After replacing the bearing and race, how do you adjust the bearing cover, just snug enough that it doesn't push the shaft back up ?

Kit

Tags
steering issues, steering system
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha