lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
dougmch
Not Yet Wild

Default Curtis 1206AC inop, upgrade?

Hi,

I'm a new member, on a stalled father-son project, need help getting a car to run. We're happy to replace the controller, as the project eventually includes lift and larger wheels. I'll be asking for help beyond this as we go.

Configuration:
EZGO 2009 RXV SN 5069323. 4x12V batteries. Controller Curtix RXV Fleet 5.0, Model 1206AC-5211. AU 1841, current 235 A, s/w 5.0. Motor Iskra 3 phase AMT7109, 30V, 3.3kW, dc 48V Class H 11.19.2008. No lights, horn, turn signal (basically no accessories).

Background:
We purchased a running cart at an auction. However the bidder on an inoperative cart left with ours, and we ended up with a battery-less, cable-less, cart with nuts and bolts strewn about and connectors disconnected. It has body damage. A "project". We're trying to get it running. Our project eventually includes a back seat, lift, wheels and tires, brakes, accessories, and if need be controller/motor upgrades. We'll have to repair the body too. We haven't figured any of those details out.

We spent a small fortune on new batteries and power cables, and we're still pretty close to dead.

I've referred below to attachments, which to this point I've been unable to compress to the required file sizes. I'll keep working on it.

Guesses about the Controller
This controller, and in particular the resistor control, doesn't seem to match schematics and images I find online. I'm guessing it was a replacement, and it's possible the prior owner never got it to work which is why it ended up at auction as it did. Based on the 235-amp rating, we may want to replace it anyway, although it would be good to get it running to validate that the motor works and wiring is OK.

Interconnection Issues

If anybody has a correct schematic that would be terrific. Connectors were disconnected so we're trying to assess where things go. The yellow wire to the key switch is labeled on the attached schematic as B-, but it looks to me as if it should be +48V. That yellow wire passes through a 3 pin connector which oddly seems to be intended to land on a connector base fastened to underside of the controller shroud. That intermediate termination isn't on the schematic, and doesn't really look factory. I'm wondering if it's a break point for diagnostics.

See photos. There's a 3-pin/3-wire connector and 1-wire blade-type connector which don't have any obvious place to land, and seem like they might be associated with "resistor control". The red/orange/purple-white combo seem to match, as well as the grey for the blade-type connection. The resistor configuration doesn't seem to have any "control". In addition there's a 3-pin connector with 2 wires (red+black) with nowhere obvious to land.

Observations

Once we made the 3-pin connection under the shroud which included the yellow keyswitch wire, turning the key brings the charge indicator alive. I would have guessed the solenoid would energize, but it does not. If I jumper what appears to be the negative side of the coil to common the solenoid appears to change state. I was opining that the black/red connector with nothing attached might be part of an unmade circuit, such as the "bi-metal switch" on the attached schematic, but I find no continuity between either of those wires and the two coil wires.

Conclusion
Any help you could provide would be sincerely appreciated. I am taking time off to work on this with my son, we're stuck, and the fun factor is diminishing. I'm thinking we'll probably want a new controller anyway, because we want tires and lift, eventually, and if that's the answer OK. But getting this going before that would be handy.
dougmch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Curtis 1206AC inop, upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmch View Post
Hi,

I'm a new member, on a stalled father-son project, need help getting a car to run. We're happy to replace the controller, as the project eventually includes lift and larger wheels. I'll be asking for help beyond this as we go.

Configuration:
EZGO 2009 RXV SN 5069323. 4x12V batteries. Controller Curtix RXV Fleet 5.0, Model 1206AC-5211. AU 1841, current 235 A, s/w 5.0. Motor Iskra 3 phase AMT7109, 30V, 3.3kW, dc 48V Class H 11.19.2008. No lights, horn, turn signal (basically no accessories).

Background:
We purchased a running cart at an auction. However the bidder on an inoperative cart left with ours, and we ended up with a battery-less, cable-less, cart with nuts and bolts strewn about and connectors disconnected. It has body damage. A "project". We're trying to get it running. Our project eventually includes a back seat, lift, wheels and tires, brakes, accessories, and if need be controller/motor upgrades. We'll have to repair the body too. We haven't figured any of those details out.

We spent a small fortune on new batteries and power cables, and we're still pretty close to dead.

I've referred below to attachments, which to this point I've been unable to compress to the required file sizes. I'll keep working on it.

Guesses about the Controller
This controller, and in particular the resistor control, doesn't seem to match schematics and images I find online. I'm guessing it was a replacement, and it's possible the prior owner never got it to work which is why it ended up at auction as it did. Based on the 235-amp rating, we may want to replace it anyway, although it would be good to get it running to validate that the motor works and wiring is OK.

Interconnection Issues

If anybody has a correct schematic that would be terrific. Connectors were disconnected so we're trying to assess where things go. The yellow wire to the key switch is labeled on the attached schematic as B-, but it looks to me as if it should be +48V. That yellow wire passes through a 3 pin connector which oddly seems to be intended to land on a connector base fastened to underside of the controller shroud. That intermediate termination isn't on the schematic, and doesn't really look factory. I'm wondering if it's a break point for diagnostics.

See photos. There's a 3-pin/3-wire connector and 1-wire blade-type connector which don't have any obvious place to land, and seem like they might be associated with "resistor control". The red/orange/purple-white combo seem to match, as well as the grey for the blade-type connection. The resistor configuration doesn't seem to have any "control". In addition there's a 3-pin connector with 2 wires (red+black) with nowhere obvious to land.

Observations

Once we made the 3-pin connection under the shroud which included the yellow keyswitch wire, turning the key brings the charge indicator alive. I would have guessed the solenoid would energize, but it does not. If I jumper what appears to be the negative side of the coil to common the solenoid appears to change state. I was opining that the black/red connector with nothing attached might be part of an unmade circuit, such as the "bi-metal switch" on the attached schematic, but I find no continuity between either of those wires and the two coil wires.

Conclusion
Any help you could provide would be sincerely appreciated. I am taking time off to work on this with my son, we're stuck, and the fun factor is diminishing. I'm thinking we'll probably want a new controller anyway, because we want tires and lift, eventually, and if that's the answer OK. But getting this going before that would be handy.
It sounds like you ended up with an originally Danaher wired cart and a Curtis controller, partially converted. Do not mess with the wiring with the controller on and power connected! That will pretty much guarantee you will fry the controller! The RXV is a computer on wheels, and has 5 volt circuits mixed in the same harness as 48 volt circuits! Easy to damage things, as most of the control system is 5 volts.

If you want the controller checked, you can send it to me via Priority Mail, with return postage. The controller rating of 235 Amps is a bit deceiving. That is 235 Amps per phase, X 3 phases... 705 Amps total! More than any aftermarket controller can deliver! You're likely going to need wiring harness help, not a replacement controller. The 1206AC-5211 does not have the correct OS/VCL to work with a Danaher to Curtis harness conversion adapter kit. That takes a 1206AC-5201. Not a problem, as they are plentiful. I have several of them. An easy swap-out if that is your issue. The 5211 will work with a Danaher to Curtis, fully converted harness however. Read this thread of mine.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ocumented.html

Where are you located? Let me know and I'll do what I can to help. RXVs are my specialty of the golf cart variety.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
dougmch
Not Yet Wild

Hi Bob,

That's terrific. I'm in Northern California.

If I had to guess we may have already fried it, or it may have been pre-fried. We've been troubleshooting with power on, disconnecting/reconnecting. My son reported at one point a "smell", and we all know what that can be.

How do I reach you to put this together? Is it permissible to post my email address?

Best Regards,

Doug McHaney
Old 06-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

PMs work best, if you want to take things offline.

At the top righthand side of the site, under "Welcome ..." You'll see Private Messaages.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
dougmch
Not Yet Wild

I don't see PM capability. Could that be limited based on my new status?
Old 06-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Dunno. I just clicked on your name to the left of the post, and sent you a PM.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Yes, you need 5 posts before you can PM. I'll send you a PM with my info
Old 06-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
dougmch
Not Yet Wild

my name is Doug McHaney, and my email is dougmch@sbcglobal.net . feel free o message me there
Old 06-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #9
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

email sent Doug. I also replied to your sons PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
Jasonrs4317
Not Yet Wild

Hello Bob Boyce I have some questions about and ezgo rxv that the reverse buzzer was cut with the run/two toggle in run. Did this likely fry the controller?
Jasonrs4317 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtis, high lift, high torque, rxv, upgrade controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO