lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 1982 G1 shuts off when hot...please help!

I have an 82 G1 that I cannot for the life of me figure out the problem. Once I get the cart hot from running 5+ minutes, the cart will fall flat on its face and quit running like it ran out of fuel. If you pull the choke you can maybe get an extra 50 yards or so if you catch it before the motor completely stops. I just replaced the crank seals, compression is reading 105 psi, and i put an electric fuel pump on and verified that the carb is getting fuel when its cold. I originally thought it was a bad fuel pump and thats why I went with the electric fuel pump. The fuel pump has a 2.5-4 psi shutoff. One thing I noticed was the plug looked like it was running a bit lean. A shade or two lighter than a typical spark plug would look in a perfect running motor. This has happened a few times before, but once it sat for a minute or the fuel lines were re-primed it would start back up. Now, no matter what I do, I cant get it to start back up again. Turns over just fine but wont fire. With spark, compression, and fuel how is this possible? Has anybody had this happen before? Vapor-lock from heat maybe? I know I must be overlooking something here.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 shuts off when hot...please help!

Have you tried loosening the fuel cap? Possibly a plugged vent
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I took the vent completely out of the tank, but it does seem like a vacuum is somehow being created and cutting off fuel flow. In the past, if I pressurized the tank to re-prime the lines it takes right off. I tried priming it the last time it died and it didn't work. Still cant get the motor to fire back up.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
greenskeeper
Not Yet Wild

bad coil?
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
bad coil?
Starting to wonder... its either the carb or maybe it is thermal breakdown of the coil. It only happens when its hot, so I'm going to try and get it to fire up again and then run it hard tonight and when it stops running I'm going to pull the plug and check for spark and also check for flowing fuel at the carb. Those are the only two tests that I haven't tried yet when the motor is hot.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

While I'm thinking about the carb...does anyone know what the adjustment should be on this screw? I have the pilot screw 1 1/2 turns out, but have no clue what the adjustment should be on the other screw.
Attached Images
File Type: png G1 Carb.PNG (311.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
While I'm thinking about the carb...does anyone know what the adjustment should be on this screw? I have the pilot screw 1 1/2 turns out, but have no clue what the adjustment should be on the other screw.

Not sure but think that one just needs to be snug as it's not an adjustment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

X2 that your coil may be overheating. Are you still getting spark when in "fail mode"? If not then the problem is probably electrical.

Is your "delayed start relay" still attached? This is a relay on the back passenger wheel well, near the solenoids, that intends to delay the cart from starting too quickly when shifting from F and R. Those can overheat and cause "no starts" until they cool back down.

As well, you may want to adjust your carb's float bowl up some? There is a chance it's emptying out prematurely. Also, you can adjust your mix screw out past 1 1/2 turns as well. 1 1/2 turns is just the industry standard starting point.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies. Trentofdestiny mine is lightly snug. Wasn't sure if it was some type of breather or not. Lochlin I have not checked the spark in fail mode yet. I plan on trying to check that the next time it shuts down though. My delay start relay is still connected. Would that cause it to shut off while its running? I'm going to raise the float like you said as well. Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket replacement coil? I can't find any OEM coils anywhere.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #10
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Thanks for the replies. Trentofdestiny mine is lightly snug. Wasn't sure if it was some type of breather or not. Lochlin I have not checked the spark in fail mode yet. I plan on trying to check that the next time it shuts down though. My delay start relay is still connected. Would that cause it to shut off while its running? I'm going to raise the float like you said as well. Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket replacement coil? I can't find any OEM coils anywhere.

Aftermarket electronics are pretty much the only option for the G1, regardless of quality lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha