lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default deep cycle vs regular car battery

Is using a deep cycle any better than a regular battery? Does this affect how the starter/generator charges? I received my cart with a regular car battery, installed a new starter/generator, and was told a deep cycle would be better. Now I can't keep a charge on the deep cycle. Was I given bad Information? Should I switch back to a regular car battery?
Poppa Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: deep cycle vs ragular car battery

Deep cycle batteries are for electric carts. An automotive starting battery is appropriate for gas carts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks I’ll switch it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

"Deep cycle" batteries are also "marine batteries" also used in lawn equipment 4 wheelers lift gates ect. Usually for things that either sit a lot or have a deep cycle use. They can be drained low and brought back a lot more than a standard battery.

I could be wrong on this but I see no downside to deep cycle battery use on a golf cart. In fact probably not a bad idea really. Carts don't have big charging system and a lot of stop and go.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I find the charging circuit on a gas golf car 14,5 to 15.5 does not sit well with a deep cycle battery in charging profile. Just my opinion.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My buddy is running a regular car battery and has no issues. Maybe the G2 s/g doesn’t have have enough push to charge the deep cycle being an older model. It’s a brand new s/g. I’ll pull a car battery out of one of my vehicles and try it this weekend.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: deep cycle vs regular car battery

I ran a deep cycle in my G14 for years after not doing the boat thing anymore. I had no issues doing this. P.S. I just looked up when I changed to a car battery. The boat battery was in from 2008 until 2011 and it was certainly not new when installed in my cart. I am not saying to buy one new for your cart but if you happen to have one not being used it does work fine in a cart.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #8
Poppa Hunter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: deep cycle vs regular car battery

I was tinkering with it last night. My garage doesn’t have the best light. I noticed there was a spark arcing under the s/g. I think that might have been my problem, just got lucky it was dark enough for me to see it. Going to trace all the wires and check for defects. Thankfully there aren’t too many. Thanks for all the input and information.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha